Boil in the Bag Cheeseburger, not Boil in the Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I thought I would share my latest experiments to make a boil in the bag cheeseburger.

I think we have all seen those clips of German boil in the can cheeseburgers like on the Johnathan Ross show well I must admit I thought they looked gross but I liked the idea.

Well since I had just got vacuum packer I thought I would have a crack at a boil in the bag cheeseburger.

Cheeseburger1.jpg

(VacPacked and ready to go)

So to start with I put my coarse plate on my mincer and minced some diced aged beef, seasoned with salt and pepper formed it into two patties which I sandwiched together with a layer of smoked cheese and tomato relish between.

Next since I did not have burger press I chilled then VacPacked it raw then to keep is shape and to make sure it was cooked all the way through I poached in it a water bath before frying it off along with some dried cure streaky bacon then VacPacked it again as you can see above.

Right the big problem I have had in the past has been the bread, it does not take kindly to being Vaced and just turns into something resembling a roof tile and tastes about the same ;) Well that was till I was in ASDA and was down the Indian food section and low and behold Nan bread. So I baked a quite thick burger bun sized Nan, while it was still hot straight from the over brushed top and bottom with garlic butter then when cold split and lightly toasted before, you have guessed it VacPacked.

Finally I made to condiment pack in the form of 'seriously strong cheddar spread', 'Baxter's tomato relish' and 'French's Mustard' as you can see.

I was going to get some action shots of outdoor cooking but the weather was not up to it so just boiled the burger/bacon pack for 20 mins in the kitchen and here are the results.

Cheeseburger2.jpg

and

Cheeseburger3.jpg

You will have to take my word on it but it was pretty good if I say so myself, the only thing I might try different next time would be to add some rusk to the burger mix and a little red wine is it was just a little dry.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Like it. I'll take x10 , do you do drive through yet?

How long do you think they will be 'edible' ( or is that a subjective term? )

More importantly , whats next on the menu? Puddings?

I like it!
Although it initially sounds dodgy, I'm sure the final result could be really tasty.
There's a technique developed at one of the world's top restaurants (El Bulli), and copied by Heston Bullenthal, where fresh food is vacuum packed, cooked very slowly in a warm water bath at 30°C, and then can be stored in the fridge for days, before being seared on the grill. Apparently although tastes are amazingly concentrated, the texture of wobbly chicken takes some getting used to!
I wonder if there's a bushcraft application here to produce you own home cooked sterile Rat Packs that will last for days? Maybe that's why you bought the vacuum packer?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'll take a cheeseburger, fries, a coke and some VacPacked whippy to go please :D

Jokes aside, that actually didn't look bad, quite tasy in fact!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
TeeDee : I made it about a week before I eat it. I was in the fridge and it was fine when I cooked it Sunday night and I am still here ;)

Gunsliger : I had thought about using those microwave burgers which are a bit like those tinned one I suppose but didn't for two reasons. First I wanted to have the cheese and relish inside the buger so if push came to shove I could do without the condiments and I also wanted to know what was in it I am even planning of doing one with my own cheese when it is finished ageing and I have smoked it.

DavidJT : It was seeing on of Hestons programs that gave me the idea of poach the buger first and yes that is one of the reasons for the Vaccum Packer along with extending the life of my homemade bacon, salt beef and sausages. I aways tend to make to much and end binning what I cannot eat in time.

Regarding the chips I have Vac-ed some McCain MicroChips and am going to give them a go in a toaster bag as I don't think soggy boiled in the bag chips will be that nice and I have cooked them in an electric toaster before and they came out nice and crisp :D

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Glad I found this as I have been thinking of doing my own 'Boil in the bag' for ages. I thought about either tipping a can into a pouch, or using leftovers. There is a rule about cooling down within 90 minutes (food safety regulations - did have something in a book by Sprenger). Not sure how long they last, but should be ok for a weekend or so. Would love to find out more though. Freeze dried are OK if you have a water source or can carry enough.

Regards

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE