Boats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Even secondhand dinghies can be pricey I think. Perhaps stick to canoes or kayaks. Not sure of you budget but you can get various kinds of touring and sea kayaks for a range of prices. I am sure your local Canoe club or shop will have notices for secondhand.

If you are going out in a sea kayak do go with someone experienced. The sea can be unforgiving at times. I think this applies to a lot of boating options too. I have read of so many kids dying over the years on inland lakes/lochs within swimming distance of the shore.

I myself was canoe surfing a well known surfing beach in a boat I was not used to in a truly dumping surf. I obviously realized it was getting worse and I was beyond my capabilities. Unfortunately I was a little too late and got trashed trying to get in (surf was too steep for my boat so I was only able to fight the wave sets then try to paddle inshore between them). I got well and truly trashed, out of my boat and in a rip. The cross-shore current had me away from the surf lines and the only other kayaker within hearing was a tiny lass (a good paddler just not physically able to tow me out of the rip). She went for two big lads who got me into the boat and we paddled back across the shoreline before I fought my way back in. It is not fun getting looped backwards by a big and dumping surf. I have never felt comfortable on the sea since then. Bear in mind I was considered intermediate to expert kayaker at the time so no novice and I was well aware of my comfort zone. I just got outside of it very quickly. The sea can do that, change quickly and become dangerous for those who are not capable or experienced enough to cope. Happens in the sea quickly sometimes. I can not stress it enough, whatever you do be safe and get trained.

Some sea or touring kayaks can take fishing poles too, think I once saw a sailing rig for one too but that was a decade back or more now.

I think the OP needs to consider what the boat is going to be used for, where and what are the storage options available to you. Then look at budget and modify accordingly.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Great, float what one can afford, handle and store.

Worth noting a kindness I experienced today. My dinghy is on a beach and had got a lot of water in it that I was planning to bail out. Visited it today and somebody had set up a plastic pipe as a syphon so it was practically empty.
And when I visited the boat to today a scumbag had stolen the wheels off my launching trolley!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE