Board/Card games while camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I was at a festival this weekend with the kids. Having a big white canvas bell tent is great, so if it is raining, we can play games and do other activities in the tent. So for this weekend I packed, love letters and flux which are both card games. I also sometimes take a normal pack of cards but the kids seem to prefer different games. Another firm favourite of theirs being story cubes.

What does everyone else take? especially interested in the child friendly ones.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just had the weekend away and played Viking chess for the first time, a very easy game to play but very strategic to boot

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
Been to several festivals lately (including my first Glastonbury!) & take solo games as usually my wife doesn't go or doesn't want to play. However all are playable by 2-4 players also.
I've been taking limes & onirim with me which are tiny as just a stack of cards with a few meeples in limes.
Last week I bought a game called the game. It's a pretty simple card game to learn but addictive! I bought the German version from Amazon for half the price it is here plus it includes the expansion. No English instructions but easily found online.

Tomorrow I'm getting roll through the ages bronze age which will be coming with me to wilderness festival on Thursday

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Big fan of card games, I always take a pack, cribbage is good.
I also like chess. I have a flat magnetic version that takes up very little space.
probably not what you're after,

for groups I think some party/parlour games would be good, the 'who am I?' game, charades etc..

I have been known to read stories to kids around a campfire - Roald Dahl often works well as long as you do silly voices. The hobbit is also good...

Although wet weather sucks we always make the most of it unless it gets too cold, then again our tents are just for sleeping in really...

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Cheat (split the deck between everyone) - basically lay cards face down. You can lay more than one of any card as long as it is above, below or the same as the card just being laid. If someone yells cheat the cards are flipped to see if you were lying. If you were, you get the whole deck in play, failing that it goes to the person who called cheat. You can only call cheat if the next person (clockwise play) hasn't laid. Once laid down 20 cards and simply said "one jack" - scouts didn't notice. Play till first one is out.

****head or otherwise known as "burn" when playing the game with young'uns - three cards face down, three face up for each player and three in your hand. Keep playing the cards from your hand clockwise, always laying greater or equal cards on the pile. Ace is high. Power cards are 2, 3, 10 and Queen. 2 resets the pile to 0 (you can lay anything), 3 mirrors what is there (if there's a king, you can lay a three and it's counted as a king), 10 burns the pile and it's removed from play and a queen must always be covered. You can lay a power card (2, 3, 10 and Queen) at any time. Some people also play 7's to reverse the direction of play. One final rule is 4 of a kind also burns the pile. But they have to be laid consecutively. A 3 can make up the four of a kind (ie three 4's and one 3 is 4 of a kind because the 4 mirrors a the last card played). Play the whole game out - last person in is the ****head. Or is "burnt".

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Cheat (split the deck between everyone) - basically lay cards face down. You can lay more than one of any card as long as it is above, below or the same as the card just being laid. If someone yells cheat the cards are flipped to see if you were lying. If you were, you get the whole deck in play, failing that it goes to the person who called cheat. You can only call cheat if the next person (clockwise play) hasn't laid. Once laid down 20 cards and simply said "one jack" - scouts didn't notice. Play till first one is out.

Cheat doesn't start when all the cards are dealt - skip yourself a few times when dealing or even double up on someone. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE