Boar?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
In Australia we have full on "Razorbacks" Feral Boars of huge proportions check out some of the photos on our bowhunting sites these animals are ferocious and irrespective it is all about shot placement with whatever you use! My 30 / 30 Winchester with 170gr RN Sierra's will put them down pretty swiftly, but you've got to get em in the boiler room! Bowhunting boars is very challenging, however it is also very common in Australia, just as many record Pigs have been taken with bows as well as with rifles down here.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
in japan they used to dig a pit with a bamboo spear in the bottom of it, a bit like a tiger trap. i've seen definate boar sign around where i live, and my local butcher sells hunted boar meat. . is there a large enough population to sustain hunting?
hunting boar with a bow sounds really wild

Jun 29, 2006
New Zealand
we kept pigs not that long ago and had a boar that stood hip high at the shoulder, came the time when the old guy had to be knocked off so my da' called in a work mate with guns.
Pig was lying on his side asleep so this guy decided to try an organ shot i think (i was quite young) .303 bounced off his hide into the trees and woke the pig up perty rudely - 2nd .303 shot to the head just gave him one heck of a headache - stood there shaking his head.
Gave him a feed to bring him out again and Cookiebear (da's mate) had to use a shotgun slug between the eyes (at point blank range) to bring him down :eek:

W

wiggles

im sure you could use a spear but due to the fact they could easily maul you and have pretty dangerous tusks i would rather shoot one

either with a rifle from far away or a shotgun with buskshot or a solid slug fairly close

wiggles:)

W

wiggles

also i know some yanks just walk up to the relly fat ones and plug them one at almost point blank range,even with pistols.

wiggles:)

W

WNZer

I use a crossbow on pigs, you just need to get it in the lower part of its neck or just behind its forequarters, they drop pretty quick but sometimes they dont thats when you have to stick them which is dangerous when you are solo. Do not try and stick them with a bullet, bolt, knife, arrow in the shoulders, they have a calloused hairy kind of armour there.

Edit PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS AN ILLEGAL ACTIVITY IN THE UK.
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Section 5 (1)(c) specifically prohibits the use of any bow to hunt in the UK. As such, in the UK, it is highly illegal with extremely high penalties.

BcUK NEITHER CONDONES OR ENCOURAGES THIS ACTIVITY.

Toddy (mod)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
When my dad had decided on moving to Catalunya, where pig hunting is a national pastime, he asked one of his shooting buddies where was the best place to shoot a pig. The reply was 'from up a tree...' Not quite what he had in mind though...
The locals use semi auto shotguns with SSG. The dogs flush the piggies towards them and then they let rip. Hmm....

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
You should be aware that omnivores, as boars are, often carry a parasite that can give you a potentially lethal condition called thricinosis (correct spelling?). You should cook it really well, no pink color in the flesh.

Torjus Gaaren

The wild pigs in Ecuador have, so I'm told, massive tusks and stroll about in packs. Their defence mechanism is to charge en mass at the preditor, the only thing to do shimmy up a tree and wait, often for a very long time before they get bored and walk off. I think I shall be looking for a claymore if I fancy pork for lunch.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Ditch Monkey said:
The wild pigs in Ecuador have, so I'm told, massive tusks and stroll about in packs. Their defence mechanism is to charge en mass at the preditor, the only thing to do shimmy up a tree and wait, often for a very long time before they get bored and walk off. I think I shall be looking for a claymore if I fancy pork for lunch.

Brave man taking them all on with only a longsword :lmao:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
A few years ago my wife was working in the forest in Brazil where there were a load of white lipped Peccaries (wild pigs) around. They had a really bad reputation - going around in large herds and mauling any unfortunate botanists that came across them.

Local advice was to climb the nearest tree and wait until they had moved on before getting the h3ll out of the area before they came back!

Only problem was this was stunted secondary forest that was being studied for regeneration - few of the tree's could support the weight of a person and those that could tended to be tall pioneer species with no branches for the first 20 feet or so - impossible to climb.

The solution?

I have photo's of my wife walking through the rainforest with a folding aluminium ladder strapped to her back! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And she had to use it in anger a few times as well !!!

George

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ditch Monkey said:
I think I shall be looking for a claymore if I fancy pork for lunch.

Don't forget to read the instructions too:

"face towards enemy"

No Sh** Sherlock :rolleyes:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE