Bluebells are protected?

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Be honest… who else knew?

It’s entirely possible that I am just dense, but I had no idea. They grow so abundantly from whence I hail, it didn’t even occur to me to check.

Every day’s a school day.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are protected but Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica) aren't. They're actually considered an invasive species and as such there's legislation in place to control and prevent their spread.

The problem is telling them apart so you know which one you have.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are protected but Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica) aren't. They're actually considered an invasive species and as such there's legislation in place to control and prevent their spread.

The problem is telling them apart so you know which one you have.

Interesting to know, thanks!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Our bluebells have been strictly segregated into different beds which are patrolled by my wife. No hybridising on HER watch!!

Protected or not, both are lined up, thinned and given away when occasion arises and generally instructed to behave!

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Oddly enough I did know this, and that the flowers all on one side of the stem is a sign of a Fine and Upstanding native bluebell. Why this particular shred of knowledge floats about in my usual sea of ignorance, I know not. I shall repair to the fungi thread and return to my customary confused state.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Most wild plants are protected from being uprooted without permission from the landowner. Although Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are specifically protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, landowners and permitted persons can pick and uproot them.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As a land owner I gather I can dig them up and bin them but not sell them? Can I give them away? The natives grow like weeds here, woodland is carpeted in them and they are rapidly spreading into our fields.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As a land owner I gather I can dig them up and bin them but not sell them? Can I give them away? The natives grow like weeds here, woodland is carpeted in them and they are rapidly spreading into our fields.

I'm not convinced that is true (but, I may be wrong); there are plenty of nurseries (landowners) that sell native bluebells from 'grown' stock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE