Blue Castle combats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Blue Castle combat trouser? Not sure of it's exact name but this is it here.
Found them for £11.50 delivered elsewhere and was wondering if it's worth it? Apparently they are somewhere waterproof and quick drying. Have been a little confused with reviews however, apparently depending on the colour, they use different materials. Also, does anyone know what the sizing it like?

If they are not worth it, can anyone recommend any others that would do a decent job at a cheap enough price? Thanks!

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I would recommend Blue Castle combats, as I have had a few pairs over the years for both work and leisure and they have proved to be very hard wearing and comfortable and the price is very good too. But with a natural/synthetic mix they will be quite resilient to the ingress of water and what does get in dries fast due to the synthetic. Sizing has been a little hit and miss over the years, but I always get the size up for comfort and wear belts of which the Blue Castle combats have loops that will take a two inch webbing belt which is very comfortable once one pulls off the metal side adjusters.

I currently use Blue Castle combats as outdoor and hillwalking trousers as I find the technical branded stuff too expensive for my pocket and it does hurt when you rip your Rohan Bags.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
I would recommend Blue Castle combats, as I have had a few pairs over the years for both work and leisure and they have proved to be very hard wearing and comfortable and the price is very good too. But with a natural/synthetic mix they will be quite resilient to the ingress of water and what does get in dries fast due to the synthetic. Sizing has been a little hit and miss over the years, but I always get the size up for comfort and wear belts of which the Blue Castle combats have loops that will take a two inch webbing belt which is very comfortable once one pulls off the metal side adjusters.

I currently use Blue Castle combats as outdoor and hillwalking trousers as I find the technical branded stuff too expensive for my pocket and it does hurt when you rip your Rohan Bags.

Thanks for your reply, i was expecting someone to tell me to go buy some craghoppers instead! haha.
What about the leg size? I tend to need the shortest leg possible to offer the best fit which is usually 30" so i was a little unsure how long/short they are. Have you tried different colours with these? Some people were saying only the green was worth buying as the others colours were not as well made, is that true? I was interested in green, blue & black.

Care to share where you can get them that cheaply? :)

Sure. I found them from a seller on ebay tho most of the good sizes are gone now! link here. Only 28, 42 & 44 left. I usually wear 30" but depending on the brand can go ether way so this is why i was asking about the sizes.
I found another seller here selling more sizes with choice of leg size too however the cost is a little more at £13:98 all in.

What's the usual price for a pair of these?

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Prices tend to be around £16 and of colours I have had black and OG as leisure/outdoor wear and dark blue as work clothes and that is working in the tool hire industry as a fitter where everything that is hired out and goes in whatever substance or is fuelled by oil one comes into contact with and me being kind of messy I was always up to my eyeballs in mess, but the trousers as always held out, washed and were good as again, so I would say pretty hard wearing and as good as the other colours.

Leg size, they tend to be all the same leg size which is fine as I bunch the ends up military style as they work better that way and I am a 32 leg. but in bunching up the ends, I don't use the strings provided, for bunching I use trouser twists as I have always done.

I just hope with people recommending stuff that the makers of stuff don't think to put up prices due to popularity, that is my only reserve when recommending stuff, but Blue Castle for about ten years now has been very affordable, although I do remember buying a couple of pairs for £7 a pair seven years back.

Oh and what causes me to buy new ones, is the fact being messy it is normally paint getting spilled on them that necessitates a new pair, that or them getting mangled in some way.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Ive being wearing these almost daily for a few years now ive got 5 pairs in the wardrobe

They are lightweight and suprisingly hardwearing for the density of the fabric
They are not waterproof but do dry relativly quickly after they become wet
Ive snagged a pair on barbed wire and ended up with a small tear that hasent got any bigger over time
They are not a winter trouser
The only problems ive had with mine is the thread holding the buttons on coming unravveled pretty quickly but thats an easy fix

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE