Blowy tarp set up - what' s yours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
No that's true, Ian. What's you best configuration for a windy night?

Don't know what it's called but a 3m x 3m with 3 corners pegged down and (hiking) pole at the 4th, leeward corner. 2nd shorter pole inside to centre reinforcement patch. Pole inside is easier to re-set than an external lifter doing the same job and doesn't really get in the way as I would sleep down one side or the other.

No-one's mentioned it yet but keeping a close eye on the wind is an important consideration. Where it's coming from at the time is fairly obvious but having an idea what is forecast and what it might do and how the local landscape may affect it are worth thinking about and bearing in mind when you're pitching-up.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If if it is really windy why have a tarp at all? The bivvy bag with sleeping bag in it is all you need. Nothing to flap around all night.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
...and no shelter when you need to pay a call or brew-up and it's still blowing fit to bust and maybe chucking it down, too.

So you get wet. More than if your tarp flaps and lets the rain in? Use a tent if the wind bothers you? They close up and keep the wind out.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its the same in windy weather as fine, just with lots more pegs.
Multiple pegging is a necessity in 70 mph winds as I've found out more than once. I had to be a human tent peg for 4 hours in wales a couple of years ago when the storm really hit. It took all my strength just to hold on to the corner that was leaside and i'd only single pegged because I'd tried to save weight by not taking as many stakes as usual.

This is my favourite; dug into the snow with headroom, self building walls and wooden anchors you have to hack out with a shovel.
:bigok:

DSCN0813.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE