Bleeding Leather Dye..... HELP!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve_T

Aug 12, 2010
Hockley
I have made some leather belts, and having dyed the backs and applied carnuba creme finish cannot get them to stop bleeding.

The dye i used is feibings spirit dye.

I'll Post some pics in a bit.

Steve_T

Aug 12, 2010
Hockley
This one is the belt i made for me. I know about the dye on the buckle, me dying after making the belt its self.
attachment.php

This is the belt i made for my dad for Christmas.

attachment.php

Attachments

• My Belt.jpg
    My Belt.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Dad's belt.jpg
    Dad's belt.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 65

Steve_T

Aug 12, 2010
Hockley
The Leather dye is bleeding onto my jeans from the back of the belt. this is fine for me to deal with, but the one that is for my dad is a different kettle of fish.
I'll be putting an order into tandy in a few days for stamps and other stuff, what should i be looking for?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I second pro oil dye, much better than spirit dye and won't bleed half as much. My belts get dyed with it both sides, then antique paste, pure neat foot oil, and then several coats of resolene.

Have only ever had one belt bleed dye, and that's because I used the eco flo gel antique and didn't put enough resolene on. Binned it straight away and moved onto to fiebings pro oil :)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been using the Fieblings pro dye on some pouches and still got a lot of dye rubbing off, even after finishing with carnuba cream and renapur wax, or tan kote. Didn't want to use resolene on the pouches as I find it a bit shiny and plasticky looking for those.

Cheers, Paul

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Do you apply neatsfoot oil to everything Hamish, or just specific items? And do you ever use carrauba cream?

Dreadhead

I've been using the Fieblings pro dye on some pouches and still got a lot of dye rubbing off, even after finishing with carnuba cream and renapur wax, or tan kote. Didn't want to use resolene on the pouches as I find it a bit shiny and plasticky looking for those.

Cheers, Paul

I cut my resolene 50/50 with water which helps give it a smoother finish. As it goes on after neatsfoot it's not too bad but like anything it's finding the right knack which works for you :)

Do you apply neatsfoot oil to everything Hamish, or just specific items? And do you ever use carrauba cream?

Aye, absolutely everything gets a light coating of it either before or after dye. I've used carnauba cream in the past but didn't fancy it myself so never replaced it. May pick another one up sometime and give it another go. Again there is no right or wrong, just what works for each individual

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Aye, absolutely everything gets a light coating of it either before or after dye. I've used carnauba cream in the past but didn't fancy it myself so never replaced it. May pick another one up sometime and give it another go. Again there is no right or wrong, just what works for each individual

Is it right that a coat of neatsfoot acts as a barrier to water to stop the leather hardening while you're working it?

I've got neatsfoot oil and carrauba cream, but yet to use either... I've been giving things a coat of tan kote... and used the super shene twice. Grabbed some edge kote as well, but not used that yet... should be doing when the Saw of Nephilim needs a case.

Dreadhead

Is it right that a coat of neatsfoot acts as a barrier to water to stop the leather hardening while you're working it?

I've got neatsfoot oil and carrauba cream, but yet to use either... I've been giving things a coat of tan kote... and used the super shene twice. Grabbed some edge kote as well, but not used that yet... should be doing when the Saw of Nephilim needs a case.
Can't say as I've never used neat foot before tooling. It's great stuff for keeping it supple though, especially as dye can stiffen it now and then

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Can't say as I've never used neat foot before tooling. It's great stuff for keeping it supple though, especially as dye can stiffen it now and then

Thought as much... from the little bits I've done, I can't see how a barrier would work... but I've met some weird and wonderful people in the leather world over the past month... all who have their own ways of doing things and their own advice for the newbie. Very much enjoying the journey though... even if it is driving my wife mental! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE