Blanket or Sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What ever you choose, don't neglect the ground insulation, as that's where you're going to loose most of your heat.

I've never used a ground sheet or mat before (probably why it's cold) because they are bulky..even those foam ones are bulky (but lightweight). Is there an alternative to a foam one? I don't mind weight, but I like to keep the size of my bag down.

I found a sleeping bag on amazon yesterday, looks a bargain and has some good reviews. >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodworm-LO...UTF8&coliid=I2S6CFQL4ECR3X&colid=3POXA12ETQQD

and this one >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...p_sg_0_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

What's the average temp at night in our seasons? I've not checked them out but I like my house about 15 celcius (60f)..

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
First, temperature.

Average means nothing in the UK. You can get mild nights in winter and cold ones in summer. At the weekend, almost mid-summer, the temperature where I was camping almost hit freezing while it can be almost double figs in January sometimes.

Good advice about sleeping mats. What is underneath is more important than what's on top.

Foam mats - uncomfortable, bulky but pretty warm, lightweight, waterproof and bombproof.

Self inflating - reasonably light (esp 120cm long ones), comfortable, warm and fold down reasonably well.

Air-filled mattress - Comfortable reasonably light, folds down small but not warm unless you pay a lot for one of the new Neoairs or similar. Also prone to punctures.

Down filled - the best - warm, comfortable reasonbly light but very expensive and are compromised if wet.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've never used a ground sheet or mat before (probably why it's cold) ...

Some insulation underneath you makes a big difference.

...Is there an alternative to a foam one? I don't mind weight, but I like to keep the size of my bag down.

There are several self-inflating sleep mats. My 3/4 length Thermarest packs down to about a litre and weighs about 500g. I'm never without it when camping, I think I've used it for getting on for twenty years with no punctures but I'm always careful to make sure there are no big thorns where I set up my tent. Unfortunately they're expensive, but you can get cheaper ones which are usually bulkier and heavier. There's one in Aldi at the moment for 12.99 but it's three times the weight and over five times the bulk which is why I didn't buy one when I looked at them the other day. It would probably be comfy, I think it's a bit thicker than my Thermarest. Don't know about the Aldi ones but the Thermarest ones need to be stored inflated when not in use which might be an issue.

What's the average temp at night in our seasons? I've not checked them out but I like my house about 15 celcius (60f)..

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/

Incidentally I love to have a folded wool blanket on top of my thermarest but underneath my sleeping bag, but I only do that if I travel on four wheels. Normally it's just two.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
one thing that hasn't been raised so far is how difficult it can be to arrange blankets inside a bivvi bag, it's a nightmare. i'm as slender as any on here i reckon, so have an enormous amount of space in my british army bivi bag, but i still find it almost impossible to get myself properly wrapped up in blankets inside the bivi.

as others have said, some kind of insulation underneath you will make the world of difference. i use, depending on the nature of the trip, thermarest (big, heavy, really warm, really comfortable), closed cell roll mat (huge, very light, fairly warm, not overly comfortable), or a piece of fairly thick bubble wrap (tiny, light as a feather, surprisingly warm, we won't mention comfort!).

i use a mixture of sleeping bags (snugpak softie 3 when it's going to be warm, buffalo 4s inner when it's a bit cooler, huge great big coleman thing for when it's cold) and blankets depending on the circumstances. blankets are a definate for the rare occasions that SWMBO decides to join me, there's nothing quite like wrapping a blanket round you both as you sit by the fire of an evening, tricky with a sleeping bag

sleeping bag = easier
blanket = marginally more flexible

stuart

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't know about the original poster, but I just bought one of those!

goodjob

Fantastic value; thanks for the tip

My son and I use them, no problems at minus 10 in Wales and without being in a bivvy bag to help. You can put these in the washing machine and they come out smelling of roses, or Surf in my case. The army bag will do you fine for the majority of the UK, put it in a bivvy bag and you will be warm anytime of the year.

Some here who don't know me think I'm a tight bottom, nothing could be further from the truth in fact as those who do know me understand; through work, pensions, being mortgage free, ill health and inheritance I'm retired and pretty much OK financially but the days of me buying kit more suited to the Himalayas are over, been there and done that in my younger days, I now work purely on a 'fit for purpose' basis and not cost or label name.

All too often we see questions asked here, simple questions and the help offered is often to spend the big bucks, buy the 'big' labels, when in reality we by offering this advice are moving away from what "Bushcraft" was I thought all about; keeping it simple.

If I were new to all this and read through the posts I may well think "Sod this, I can't afford it".

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I just went to argos and bought a cheap sleeping bag to use tonight as the weather is nice and I really want a night out under the stars. It had posative reviews and only cost me £20, after laying it out on my bed I stuffed the wife in it as I was sweating from the trek to argos ;).

I made sure to put it inside my bivi and then roll it up and bag it in it's stuff sack, that way it'll be quicker to get in tonight! Also I have a mosquito/midgie headnet that fits in the stuff sack, should be bite free tonight!

I'll let you know if it's any good but tbh it looks fine and is far better than the crap broken bag I've always used.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9276172.htm << this one ;)

thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure alot of people have been wondering about blankets but maybe in the future I'll get one anyway as they're cool to have on hobo camps.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to say dude, a bug net wont work if against the skin, such as on your head while your laying down, unless you tie a head net suspension system from a tree or pole maybe, but poles never seem to stay in one place long enough to be of much use as a head net suspension system,so a tree might be best, home base sell them.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just to say dude, a bug net wont work if against the skin, such as on your head while your laying down, unless you tie a head net suspension system from a tree or pole maybe, but poles never seem to stay in one place long enough to be of much use as a head net suspension system,so a tree might be best, home base sell them.

that's why I'll wear a basebal cap. plenty of room in the net to wear my 'australian bush hat' but I'd rather not look like a gorm ;)

good net actually, only cost £5 and is super fine and pretty tough with a pull cord neck part. >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramid-Head-Net/dp/B000VZHBBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308249376&sr=8-1

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Sort of. If your the type who won't roll around in your sleep and keep a hat on the net will work. If your the type who ignore logic and use a tarp in midge country I recommend one of these. I have two, never used them yet but perhaps will next week under the parachute subject to the little buggers playing up and biting. Lightweight, pack up small.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOSQUITO-NET-...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f0a46d355

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm trying to get used to very basic sleeping methods and bivi, sleeping bag and face net seem to be the minimum I'm willing to try.

If it's cold and really unpleasant I'll add to it but I like the hobo minimalist camp but without dieing of food poisoning and hypothermia (like I've felt near to in the past).

I'm gona sleep out in the open grass tonight, so no trees nearby and with any luck clear skies and sparkley stars. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha typical bloody weather, gone from sunny and clear to grey and about to pee it down in 5 minutes.

Still going out though ;) even if it means proping an umbrella above my head.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure alot of people have been wondering about blankets but maybe in the future I'll get one anyway as they're cool to have on hobo camps.

Check out any charity shops you come across. I'm a big fan of charity shops. Never much in the way of camping gear but plenty of Ordnance Survey maps for 50p, Ralph Lauren shirts for £2.50 and the occasional woollen blanket for a couple of quid. If you don't see what you want out front, ask at the counter as most of them have stock piled up in a backroom. I was in a shop the other day that was selling a pile of blankets for £1 each.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ok so didn't complete the night and for 2 reasons.

1. it was so cloudy I couldn't see the stars at all even after 4 hours and if I wanted to sleep out there with no view I'd use a tent..

2.the seam tape on my bivi has come loose and didn't want to worsen it for the sake of a boring starless night.

The sleeping bag however is very warm and after a bit of riggling I got quite snug and comfy! didn't need the bug net either as there wasn't a winged pest to be seen/heard/felt!

Off to find out how to repair the seam tape on the bag.. I'll start a new thread to seek advice..

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Check out any charity shops ... plenty of Ordnance Survey maps for 50p,

You don't do Oxfam then? :)

Ralph Lauren shirts for £2.50 ...

Never heard of him.

... the occasional woollen blanket for a couple of quid. If you don't see what you want out front, ask at the counter as most of them have stock piled up in a backroom.

That's a good tip.

There's definitely some kind of weird retail snobbery in many of the charity shops. I think most of the time the bejewelled 60-somethings behind the counter just want the place to look nice. In places where they have shelves filled to overflowing with china ornaments and other useless tat, I've heard several say that old blankets get put out with the rubbish. They don't even take them to the council's collection point just around the corner! Perhaps they know what makes them most money for their chosen cause, but I still find it a bit hard to swallow that they're throwing away some of the most useful things they ever get.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I got a double bed merino blanket for 50p...OK it was dayglo orange...but a couple of quid for Dylon and it became a nice rich tan :)
It is now a shirt and, hopefully soon, a gilet as well (once I find a good bit of cotton fabric for a windproof outer)!
I have used blankets to sleep in in the past (and may again) but at the moment I prefer a sleeping bag.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My son and I use them, no problems at minus 10 in Wales and without being in a bivvy bag to help. You can put these in the washing machine and they come out smelling of roses, or Surf in my case. The army bag will do you fine for the majority of the UK, put it in a bivvy bag and you will be warm anytime of the year.

Some here who don't know me think I'm a tight bottom, nothing could be further from the truth in fact as those who do know me understand; through work, pensions, being mortgage free, ill health and inheritance I'm retired and pretty much OK financially but the days of me buying kit more suited to the Himalayas are over, been there and done that in my younger days, I now work purely on a 'fit for purpose' basis and not cost or label name.

All too often we see questions asked here, simple questions and the help offered is often to spend the big bucks, buy the 'big' labels, when in reality we by offering this advice are moving away from what "Bushcraft" was I thought all about; keeping it simple.

If I were new to all this and read through the posts I may well think "Sod this, I can't afford it".

Wise words; it is easy to get carried away with kit buying.

I do also have the army bivvy bag and a closed cell foam mat so I will definitely find an excuse for a winter bivvi and report back in due course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE