Blaenavon Community Woodland (pic heavy as usual)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Unusually, a day off coincided with some reasonable weather, so the dog and I headed up-valley to Blaenavon, for an Autumn walk around the community woodland, just because we haven't been there for a while.

There is a nice track, but it just goes down the valley to Cwmavon, and then you have to slog back again, so the usual option is to make a loop by taking one of the woodland paths back to the start. That was my plan.
10726688706_7a9d70ca24_b.jpg

10726909893_3745e91805_b.jpg

Lots of nice Autumnal larch about, although some of it is dying rather than just shedding for winter, as the larch Phytophthora disease is here too :(
10726902883_5e4306528c_b.jpg

10726681336_03de69a092_b.jpg

Low light meant some nice colours
10726854093_40bd3e5094_b.jpg

Plans went awry when the idiot human in charge chose a bad spot to leave the path, and we ended up slogging though trackless woodland in search of a way out. Still, that had compensations too.
10726837863_16cd825cce_b.jpg

Two fence crossings, and the scaling of a drystone wall, and we were up on the ridgetop, where. glory be, there was a path
10726616546_c19e1ddd61_b.jpg

A quick look around to take in the views over the Torfaen valley
10726636866_0454687849_b.jpg

10726619494_f6d717b024_b.jpg

Over a stile and into the enchanted forest
10726612704_dcc3afa76b_b.jpg

And back to the car, arriving just as it started to rain. Nice way to spend a few hours.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Do you know if they will have to fell the larch there? They've put up a load of testing bottles to sample the larch near me for disease now. I hope they don't find it or it's goodbye to my local woods :( I love it when you get a rain of golden larch needles on a nice sunny day though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice day out Harvestman, lovey pictures and beautiful colours. I especially like that last photo, (is it contorted beech?) It's almost like a stage/movie set.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Do you know if they will have to fell the larch there? They've put up a load of testing bottles to sample the larch near me for disease now. I hope they don't find it or it's goodbye to my local woods :( I love it when you get a rain of golden larch needles on a nice sunny day though.

There was a sign indicating that they had basically injected some chemicals into certain infected trees to kill them, and that once dead they will be felled. I'm not sure how much of the woodland is affected.

Nice day out Harvestman, lovey pictures and beautiful colours. I especially like that last photo, (is it contorted beech?) It's almost like a stage/movie set.

That woodland is one of my favourite places It is ancient coppiced beech, which is apparently rather unusual, at least locally. I call it the enchanted wood, because it just feels magical in there. I know of no other woodland like it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know if you've seen "Into the Woods"? but it's very like the forest set. Great looking place, will have to visit sometime.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nice little jaunt that, thanks for sharing. The beech look fantastic. Reminds me of the radiation warped trees at Chernobyl, only without the risk of your body parts falling off after walking there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've never seen beech look like that before. Is it the coppicing that had that effect, I wonder, or that they don't seem to have been thinned?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
There was a sign indicating that they had basically injected some chemicals into certain infected trees to kill them, and that once dead they will be felled. I'm not sure how much of the woodland is affected.

Apparently a huge chunk of Wentwood is being felled because of this too. :(

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've never seen beech look like that before. Is it the coppicing that had that effect, I wonder, or that they don't seem to have been thinned?

I think it is the result of repeated coppicing, which ended about 100 years ago or so, maybe a bit more. These are old trees, and beech naturally goes a bit gnarly with age, especially at altitude, which these are.

The site is yet another post-industrial landscape feature.

What was nice about today was that the off-piste bit enabled me to discover an extensive ancient sessile oak woodland that I hadn't previously known about. Looks a great place for a hammock too.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Great place that Mike, really enjoyed our walk through those beech tree's last year. Wouldn't mind another visit, similar to that weather rather than what we had which was about 5ft of visibility if you remember!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great place that Mike, really enjoyed our walk through those beech tree's last year. Wouldn't mind another visit, similar to that weather rather than what we had which was about 5ft of visibility if you remember!

I'm seeing a link between spending time outdoors with you and incredibly bad weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE