blades taken by police - advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Dartmoor navigator - totally agree on the nonsensical but i disagree that it was done and gone - my concern was that i had been told not to bring them out again. It is an incredible story, and i apologise if i have not described it very well. I honestly wish it was not mine to tell.

Vulpes - the police and rangers patrol most weekends. We were not on a private campsite, just a nice spot by a loch. I deal with the police fairly regularly and my experience in general have been good - as you say how you speak to them often affects the outcome. On this occassion i was polite and respectful - i didn't mind being questioned but i belived i was within the law as i was using the items in the manner they were intended. For info, i'm 33, there was alcohol present but not being consumed - i explained i had insisted on this before using the knives but he wasn't intrested.

I reckon you'll be alright, if you politely pester them. If they don't give them back then I'd file a formal complaint and say that you were compliant and completely reasonable and to your knowledge within the boundaries of the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Taken from you yes... disposed of, no. They could just say it was all handed in for disposal

Oh crap - i never thought of that. They did say they would be placed in a bag marked "not for destruction" but i have no proof of this and, given the experience so far, would not expect them to stick to it. Thanks for your input (although not what i wanted to hear lol!).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can we have more detail on the discussions and actions within the police station when you handed the items to them, and the reaction and conversation that ensued at that time.

i studied law @ A level and I know this for a fact ...

to commit a crime you need ... the mensrea and the actusrea.

mensrea is the forethought of commiting a crime.

actusrea is the action of committing a crime.

you've already stated you dont know the laws so no crime has been committed.

so until you're actually told something is illegal its not.

As for that quote. Well, it's quite possibly the dumbest and most innaccurate piece of information ever. If you'd have attended your lectures, you might have heard that ignorance is no defence. I see you mention studying it, but no mention of passing it. It's quite clear based on that post - you did not.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
ok no worries ... ill just throw my private education and degree in the bin ;0)

you are a typical policeman.

1. Hmmm.... Re: private education and degree - that in some way elevates your views does it?

2. You assume that I don't have a private education and a degree.

3. I am not a police officer.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
it would, but also show that you handed them in volintarily

here's a prediction.............

when you go back to the station, the very nice policeman will ask you into a side room.

he will then explain that in the view of the first officer you had too many knives about your person for the activity you were doing ( how many knives do you need to go camping ? )

he will then tell you these knives were handed in volintarily and have been confiscated under the offencive weapon act section........etc etc thank you for being a responsible citizen

He will then continue...In view of the fact that you handed them in volintarily, no charges will be bought however you will be cautioned under the offensive weapon act section.....etc etc etc

DO NOT EVER ACCEPT THAT CAUTION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES !!

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Can we have more detail on the discussions and actions within the police station when you handed the items to them, and the reaction and conversation that ensued at that time.

As for that quote. Well, it's quite possibly the dumbest and most innaccurate piece of information ever. If you'd have attended your lectures, you might have heard that ignorance is no defence. I see you mention studying it, but no mention of passing it. It's quite clear based on that post - you did not.

The heated-ness begins...I smell a locked thread coming :D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Contact a solicitor IMMEDIATELY, the police know they can't fob off a solicitor but may try to fob you off without one, say nothing more to the police and get a solicitor NOW, only a solicitor will ensure the police act lawfully.

This is the best bit of advice given, so id thought id quote again, just in case you missed it.

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Corso - i agree. Hopefully the outcome will be favourable and the officer(s) concerned will be made aware of the law (assuming i have interpreted it right)

Vulpes - I will complain officially if no other option. I wouldn't fancy their job either - can't be fun patrolling west of Scotland approaching groups in the woods. To this end i can understand their INITIAL concerns, but i'm not a ned and would have hoped they would have realised this (maybe i need to re-think my dress sense / appearance lol)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Most magistrates don't know jack about 'real life' and do not uphold the law of the land . Common law.
Busy bloke this magistrate. Dr, magistrate and tutor :screwy: just because you studied doesn't make you a good student. Just because he taught you, doesn't make him a good tutor. As for him being head honch magistrate, bet he wishes he could be a real judge.

This isn't an attack, more of a defense....against your shyte advice.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
YOU ARE ALL GETTING THE WRONG END OF THE STICK !!!

if the state makes a law and tells no one about this law you cannot be charged for breaking it. (We would live in a pretty messed up state if it were any other way)

Also if the law is not clear enough in certain situations this can be used as a defense

I'm also sorry I stated what I did earlier in such a way, what I meant is what I have quoted above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE