Blade Tech Knife Sharpener

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I bought one at the midlands game fair a couple of years ago, never use it now as i found that it removed a scary amount of the blade when used. I use a dc4 now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would say - if you can use a good stone/diamond stone of any size - use it!
If you can't - use any one of the TC blade sharpeners.
They certainlt put an edge on a blade but at the cost of a lot of metal!

They can prove a time saver if you have a realy dingged blade as they rip their way down to level the edge in short order....

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
They do a job i suppose, as said by John, if you have a dink in the blade they will remove it quickly, but used regularly the will eat your blade away quickly.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
So would you use one just to sort a blade then use the normal fine stoning to keep it in order.

Like a lot of bushcraft - quick'n'easy is normally not good but as long as its not to excess.

Thats about it, handy little thing to put an edge an a damaged blade, then i would use my DC4 for regular sharpening

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't like the look of them. :p

You are stuck with the edge angle that they come set with, if you want something more accute, tough :( If you read anything about sharpening, you will see them talking about refining the scratch pattern that runs off the edge. Deep scratches = micro saw teeth = agressive cutting on fiberous material. Fine/polished scratches = razor edge = shaving push-cuts. The tungsten carbide sharpeners (I almost typed "scrapers") don't apply this kind of scratch pattern.

I can't help thinking that they were invented for people who do not have the time or inclination to learn to sharpen on a stone. As a skill, once you know how to sharpen on a stone, you can apply it to all kinds of blades in all kinds of thicknesses and profiles. Learing to sharpen is, in my opinion, only secondary to knowing how to hold a knife and cut safely and the skills compliment each other.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
If you need to vary the angle, try this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/swiss-knife-sharpener/F/keyword/sharpener/product/1954

It rips the edge off a blade at an amazing rate (good for dings and when people bring you incredibly blunt/abused knives) in the same way that other posters have talked about the Blade Tech Knife Sharpener (which btw I haven't used)

It has the advantage/disadvantage that you can vary the angle. It will put a very sharp (micro-saw - but sometimes that's good) edge on very quickly, and you can vary the angle of attack to control the aggressiveness. It's about 3" long and I carry it plus a DC3 (the whetstone not the aeroplane)

Ian

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
You will destroy a good blade with a blade tech sharpener.
I do use one for a specific purpose but i wouldn't recommend them to anyone .

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Thanks, very well balanced and honest answers. I can use a stone and keep my blades in good nick. I do how ever work/deploy with people who have knives that are as sharp as cucumbers :rolleyes: so was after something light, fast'n'easy.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanks, very well balanced and honest answers. I can use a stone and keep my blades in good nick. I do how ever work/deploy with people who have knives that are as sharp as cucumbers :rolleyes: so was after something light, fast'n'easy.
Thats exactly it SS,
use it on other people knives and keep pointing out how much metal is being removed/how often they have to replace their blades and how you are still using your age-old knife. Then you could try convincing your mates to buy quality blades and use them correctly and learn how to sharpen them properly.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I got hold of one of Blade Tech new version sharpeners, slightly better than their ist design. I am only going to use it to restore some old damaged blades. But I must admit watching the guys sharpening some blades today they looked great.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The DC4 is an excellent little stone for sharpening in the field. I also have a Gerber pocket sharpener which has 2 sets (fine and coarse) of ceramic stones set at angles. It works well to touch up blades and is tiny and very cheap at £3-£4.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE