Blackthorn spotting

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I hope it not blackthorn blossom its sunny here right now 10 minutes ago it was nearly a blizzard , my location is about 10 mile SW ofJohn o Groat's mind you that makes me closer to the Arctic circle than Kent.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In Kent? I expect so - my blackthorn is coming into blossom - some is already open - I'm in Lincolnshire way North of the OP

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Lincolnshire, I wish I was there right now, the weather is appalling up here right now, even the fish are hiding under the bridge trying to get out of the rain.;-)
Ps Cheers again for the brass.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
In Kent? I expect so - my blackthorn is coming into blossom - some is already open - I'm in Lincolnshire way North of the OP

That's really strange... I've not found any blackthorn round my way that's blossoming.

The buds are swelling up nicely but I'd say that they're at least a week from opening yet

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's interesting how variable natures events can be. It took me a while to get to know the timings of various crops. I now know the areas where the blackberries ripen 2 weeks before all the rest, and the rest are a week before much of the rest of the country. So the fact that the blackthorn is in bloom here, is when it's not else where in the UK seems par for the course.

Does however make it really hard to wait for the frost before harvesting, as a lot of the crops go over long before the first frost hits.

J
J

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
weird, was cutting a load of blackthorn today (though to be fair, the blackthorn cut me worse than I cut it), didn't notice any blossom. Was on a north facing slope though, will check some south facing stuff on the morrow to see if that's blossoming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE