Blacksmithing Basics video series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all, I've been playing around with youtube videos and I've started a blacksmithing basics series to show beginners where to begin.

Here's episode one

[video=youtube;eVI-QYT_7pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVI-QYT_7pk[/video]

And episode two:

[video=youtube;G5Y3VgKY0Vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Y3VgKY0Vk[/video]

Have a look and have a go!

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys. I'm glad you're all enjoying them. I'll be doing part three in a couple of weeks when I get back to shore.

All the best
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Episode 3 is now up

[video=youtube;qTp038CK15g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTp038CK15g[/video]

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Those are both excellent! Two great projects to get started with, and you do them with admirable style... Looking forward to more.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for posting those videos, they make for interesting viewing. One day I would like to have a go at hot metal bashing, so I'll be looking forward to more from your channel.

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
One thing i will say is that, at some point at least, some videos on the sort of gear you need or the easiest/cheapest way to give smithing a go would be much appreciated. I don't imagine i'll have a space i could do this in for a good while yet but it definitely interests me.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Right then chaps,
I'm ashore in a few days - is there anything you'd specifically like to see?

Milkthefrog - I have something like that planned but I need some time to sort it out.

Cheers
Andy

One thing i will say is that, at some point at least, some videos on the sort of gear you need or the easiest/cheapest way to give smithing a go would be much appreciated. I don't imagine i'll have a space i could do this in for a good while yet but it definitely interests me.

I second that. Improvised anvil, forge, and tongs. Simple first projects to tackle. Etc. IE - how to get your feet wet without buying a whole swimming pool.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's partly why the first couple of projects are made without using tongs. The rake in episode one could easily be made using a large sledge hammer head as an anvil.

I'll see what I can do chaps.

Cheers
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE