Blackcurrant Cordial - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, its been a while since I did a pictorial. Sorry all - been a bit busy expeimenting and out living the "good life". Well, Tony said he was interested in some pictures of our forays into "self reliance" so here is the first of a few "harvest specials"

Here is this years blackcurrant experiment

2725670951_f7a781caa5_o.jpg

This year I fancied making a cordial - to combine with hot water as a warm "night cap", to drink as "squash" or to act as decent vitamin C in the winter

Step 1 is to pick them over, destalk and remove any "off" berries

2725672909_6abdf9724e_o.jpg

Next they are transferred to a large pan and "mashed" to relaease the juice

2726500458_6fe6134b1b_o.jpg

Half a pint of water per pound of fruit is added to dissolve out the taste

2725676057_1b1a1aaf8e_o.jpg

And then 3/4lb of sugar per lb of fruit

2726503284_b6b3faf56d_o.jpg

The whole lot is bunged in a big pan and brought to a gentle simmer for a while

2726504618_7a540dcf43_o.jpg

After a slow 10 minute simmer, stain off though a sieve

2726506550_5ed54cd887_o.jpg

Take the starined liqour and pour in a funnel into warmed bottles

2726507478_620a5c427a_o.jpg

seal firmly and store in the 'fridge

2726508592_432d3d2dd6_o.jpg

This tastes nothing like commercial cordial - but with some spring water or sparkiling wine - its fantastic!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
More like I pick them over because any mouldy or over ripe ones will spoil the taste - stalks in quantity give a sightly "woody" taste so I remove where I can. The weird thing of blackcurrant cordial is it tastes like blackcurrant (not remotely like Ribena!)

Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That looks great. One of HFW books (I think it's RC year) has a recipe for blackcurrant ripple ice cream. I've only made it once, but it was fantastic, if you've any blackcurrants left over.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
mmmmmmm ... that looks good! At the moment we have a surplus of redcurrants and Robin has been making regular batches of redcurrant 'coulis'. It might sound a bit posh, but it's delicious and easy! He just picks through for unripe / moldy ones then puts them stalks and all in a pan and cooks them until soft. You then push it through a sieve to remove the stalks, skins and pips then sweeten just a little. The resultant red goo is great on your breakfast meusli, or even better poured over a roughly chopped, over ripe banana!

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Nice n simple with a good end product, love it.
Have to say though, I think I would prefer Doc Spoons method of pushing the fruit through a sieve to remove the stalks, rather than hand picking them all off..
Nice tutorial, thank you Red...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That coulis sounds great - must have a go at that!

De-stalking is no real pain - just comb the berries off with a fork - someone suggested it to me when harvesting elderberries and it works a treat :)

Red

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That coulis sounds great - must have a go at that!

De-stalking is no real pain - just comb the berries off with a fork - someone suggested it to me when harvesting elderberries and it works a treat :)

Red

Yep we destalk with a fork too, I got that one from Delia.:D She has a blackcurrant ice cream recipe which I have not made for a few years but was simply gorgeous. How long does the cordial keep Red? presumably a higher sugar content would preserve it better but leave it less fruity. Better to have it taste better then you won't want to keep it long.:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In theory its about a month in the fridge Robin, but Ive kept cordials far longer with no ill effects tbh.

I have some purposes in mind for this batch though

Some Kir Royale next weekend :D. Just add cheap cava ;)

I also have a batch of "fire wine" that I want to flavour for winter hip flask purposes - I suspect in that context itll last forever - the high alcohol should preserve it well enough

Right - back to pickling now.......the whole house smells of infusing vinegar (all home grown spices naturally)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hehehe - just noticed I was weighing sugar in a stained trangia pan :D Kind of shows what our kitchen is like - full of iron and smoke stained stainless steel!

Red

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I tried making it, it is excellent, although full of a lot of sediment which stays in the bottom of your glass. I will definately do this again. Cheers.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If the sediment wories you, chuck it through one of those coffee filter papers chucked into a funnel - gets the worst of it out although only a wine filter clears it all.

Glad you enjoyed it - all other cordials are a variation on the recipe (just google the one you want) - blackberry is excellent and just coming into season now.

Red

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I should have had your recipe a few weeks ago. The remains of my harvest is overripe now. I made jam with most of my blackcurrants but cordial would have been great. Maybe next year. :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2008
Leeds/Bristol
If you're worried about sediment and keeping qualitites, simmer the currants and 1/4pint water per lb of fruits gently for 30-45 mins then put through a jelly bag. Once through, measure out the juice and put 8-12oz of sugar in per pint depending on how tart your currants are. Bring to the boil and boil hard for 1 minute then pour into hot, sterlised bottles and seal. Done this way it doesn't need refrigeration and will keep for years with no problems. I also pasteurise my elderflower cordial and bottle in the same way to help it keep longer and mine is still going strong about 3 months on from making the first batch and has spent no time in the fridge (other than after the bottle's been opened). :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good tips there minammoo - I'm going to try that with my blackberry which contains loads of pith

So the next photos could be "taking the pith" :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Well I went out to the allotment today and discovered that I had more blackberries than I thought. There were still plenty of good ones so I had a go at making some cordial using, more or less, your recipe. It came out rather well IMO.

Thanks for the tip.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I did the same thing last year with elder berries. Didn't last long and the kids wore red moustaches for a few days! :D Gonna try with blackberries this year too, and will probably freeze a massive batch of them for use later on in pies and crumbles in the off season. Gonna have to save those takeaway tubs!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE