Blackberry wine; spontaneous fermentation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We call it hedges wine......it can be very good, if a bit sweet, or absolutely vile and too tanniny. I reckon I get maybe three good ones out of four batches.
It's got to be worth a try though :)
It's very good with over-ripe Victoria plums :eek:

cheers,
Toddy....who's hoping British Red will come along and explain why it does or doesn't work :cool:

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Cheers toddy :) -

I've used a huge mixing mixing bowl to steep the berries in, I had two pounds of berries so I used about 2.5 litres water (2/3 gallon). I've covered it in a muslin (that's all I've got) and loosly topped it off with foil to keep the light out as much as poss.

What can I expect it to look like in ten days toddy (in this recipe that's when the sugar goes in)? I'm imagining it completely covered in mould and other filth! lol.

Should I try and mush the fruit up?

Stu

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
*If* it's going well, the fermentation *ought* to stop mould growing. The sugar just gives the yeasts something else to feast on until they produce enough alcohol to kill themselves off....and there then ought to be enough alcohol in the mix to stop any mould or other yeasts taking hold. Well, that's the theory :rolleyes: Basically keep it clean, warm and stop any fruit flies getting in and turning the whole thing to vinegar :)

cheers,
Toddy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
It is pretty random what yeast would do the fermentation in this recipe. You seem to kill the natural yeast on the surface of the blackberries by covering with boiling water, so it will only get going when something happens along.

I would suggest getting a proper wine yeast. Otherwise most wild yeasts would probably give up at about 5-8 % leaving a very sweet wine with this recipe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm,

British Red has happened along ;)

Okay first up everything Rich59 and Toddy said is right. I rather suspect that boiling water will kill any wild yeast present which could present a problem in that you will get blackberry juice (no fermentation)

My advice would be to nip down to your local brew shop and get a sachet of wine yeast and put it in with the sugar. I would use champagne yeast but anthing will work - even bread yeast at a push. Add this with the sugar (which I would dissolve in hot water and let cool before adding the yeast)

Wild yeasts are hit and miss. All yeasts as Rich says die off at different alcohol concentrations. Most at around 12 - 14% ABV (cultivated wine yeasts that is) but some go higher (up to 20%). Wild yeast problems can be for numerous reasons. Not least is because you cannot sterilise (to preserve the wild yeast) and other unpleasant microbes can introduce flavour spoling elements into the must. Tannin per se is useful in many wines but too much can coat your teeth (I have introduced oak sawdust and oak leaves into wine to add some).

I rather suspect this will produce a cloudy wine too since pectin is naturally present and will be hard to disperse without an enzyme additive.

That all sounds hugely discouraging (sorry) it may well work but its a "by guess and by god" recipe. I'd certainly wait 21 days before bottling (21 days after adding sugar) or I suspect blown corks will result.

I have made some gorgeous blackberry port before. Its pretty easy although you would need a demijohn and an airlock and a few basic ingredients. Demijohns turn up all the time for 50p (charity shops etc.) and airlocks are less than a quid. Happy to guide anyone through it if they want, but I will be posting a "blackberry brandy" pictorial bnext week that is really simple (if anyone wants it that is). I have a gallon on the go - smells divine!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE