blackberry vinegar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim wakefield

Mar 19, 2007
nottinghamshire England
I have just finished a week on nights so actually have some time off while the wife is working. this means I have actually got some time to spend bimbling around with the dogs doing a little low pressure foraging and spotting for later in the year (Haws, rosehips and ?sloes) the haws are still bitter but I managed to pick 2lb of blackberries Alison doesn't like cooked fruit and we still have Jam left from last year and I've managed to make a few pound of greengage jam anyway so as I type this the blackberries are soaking in spiced vinegar and next week I'll add sugar and heat.my mothers recipe which she got from gran. its easy and tastes great. I've used the same technique with damsons with good results.
The question is does anyone out there have any alternate recipes for fruit vinegars?

Thanks Tim.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Blackberry vinegar, sounds good, never thought about fruit vinegars before.

Simon.

tim wakefield

Mar 19, 2007
nottinghamshire England
thanks for being interested I was worried that blackberry vinagar might be specific to the east midlands. never tried it on cabbage but mixed with hot water as a cold cure it's great Don't know if it works but it tastes great.

The Recipe

3lb blackberries
2 pints malt vinegar
1lb sugar to each pint of liquid

1) pick over blackberries and place in a bowl ( ceramic or plastic none metal) cover with the vinegar.
2) Allow to stand for 8 days stirring again.
3) Strain through muslin, bundle up blackberries in the muslin and hang over bowl containing blackberry/vinegar liquid over night.
(try to resist squeezing or poking the bundle)
4) Measure liquid in pint jug and add 1lb of sugar per pint of liquid.
5) mix together in a sauce pan bring to boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
6) bottle and cork then try to allow to stand for 6 to 12 months.

for an extra kick use spiced vinegar.

it's great poured over yorkshire pudding. pancakes or mixed with hot water as a spicy drink.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE