Blackberry Storm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
just got one t'other day, I'm not really one for gadgets but its a little beauty.

Gps is great, maps works well, connects everytime (so far), decent enough little camera and plays youtube...which is great.

'was up on the moors the other week, pretty snowy and frosty, i loved being able to google Mountain Hares, Red grouse etc to double check tracks etc.

like i say, not too bothered about whistles and gadgets really, but being able to connect to t'internet anywhere is excellent - like carrying a huge library with you.... cant be bad!

highly recommended (so far) if anyone's considering it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There`s talk of us getting them for call-out at work. We looked at them a few years ago and they were huge and not really practical. The new models do look good though.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've had a bb for a few years now for work and am now on my 3rd model the pearl (with GPS) and I can agree it is a great little tool - browsing the web takes a little getting used to but it works!

The GPS works great too and I can recommend amAze if you need a free app (is almost as good as telmap navigator that came as a free trial;)

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
The first 'Storms' had a mixed response but I believe the newer firmware is much better.

The GPS in Blackberries tends to be OK (a bit slow to start from my experience) but something like Google Maps running with the GSM cells works well in town.

I have found that, unike a 'real' GPS it doesn't store maps on a card but downoads them as it goes over the GPRS connection. If there's no GPRS the sat nav still works but it says "You are here" on a grey screen with no map data.

Cheers,
Steve

B

bushyboo

Hi All

Ive been thinking of getting the blackberry curve 8900 mainly for the gps (due an upgrade)

anybody got any info on the gps on these phones ? are they any good? can you use it like a normal gps? (for geocaching etc)

any advice would be gratefull

Gordon

B

bushyboo

Hey ive just had a look at the MWg Zinc II looks good ,only problem is im with o2 and they dont do it :(

Gordon

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
I have had a BB Storm 4 bout a month now and it rocks! BB GPS is great for gen navigation and has a really good local search facility(ie where's the nearest pub). You can also use GPS with google maps with the aerial photos, really good when off track.

Warning tho!! They r also known as Crack-Berries, cos the r so addictive lol :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE