Black fabric dye?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm gonna dye some fabric (cotton duck), and I want it pitch black. I want to use a natural dye. The only recipe I've come across mentions the use of oak galls. I'm afraid it's not so many such things around at this place in time and space. What is the active ingredient in oak galls? Tannic acid?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I spoke to reenactor last summer about how ink was made in the middle ages. He explained the process to me, and while it involved oak galls and may be a similar process to making dye, it was a very long procedure that will take some planning.

Toddy should know about these things, and she would be a good person to ask .

Alternatively, buy a load of black marker pens and start colouring....

Cheers, Michael.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True natural dye black is hard to achieve, and to dye it onto cotton is harder still; cotton is a woody fibre and though it stains easily, it doesn't dye easily (stain is just a grubby non colour, a dye is a deliberately achieved tone or colour)

The oak galls are rich in tannin, but you can use oak bark just as well. It's the interaction of the oak and the iron that gives the black. Too much iron though rots fabric.

Some of the American dyes are better for black than ours; logwood can be used to good effect while most of our blacks are green/black or rusty red/black or charcoal grey.

Tbh the only way I get a good black natural dye is to mix the materials. Oak galls ground to a powder, iron mordant, green walnut husks and iris roots, give me a black. It can be a bit hit or miss though, and can end up a charcoal grey black,
I wouldn't even attempt a big bit of cotton cloth, it would need to be kept moving in plenty of liquid and kept at least at blood heat temperature. Just too much bother for me tbh.
I got a better effect by adding indigo but that wasn't stuff I'd grown or gathered. My woad blue is too pale to make much difference to the dye.

Sorry to sound so discouraging, but black's not as easy as it seems. I note loads of lists of dyes on the internet giving the same lists of suitable plants; and I *know* that those folks haven't all tried them, that they're just copy and paste lists they've lifted.
Once someone writes that 'suchandsuch' gives 'thiscolour' everyone just adds it to a list instead of actually trialing it first :(

Best of luck if you do have a go at it though :D and I'd really like to hear how you get on with it :cool:

If I *had* to dye the cotton black I'd buy one of the wash in dyes for the washing machine. Dylon pouches are very, very good :)

atb,
Toddy

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I tried something like that by using ground up charcoal mixed with egg whites and water (or something like that) and it worked really well! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE