Black bridle leather belt

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I finished this recently for a lady who had a similar one off me, and liked it so much that she wanted another one - all in the space of two weeks! Always good to know that your work is appreciated. :)

It's made from Baker's oak-bark tanned bridle leather (produced in their traditional tannery in Devon), roughly 4mm thick and 1.5in wide. I cut the straps with a plough gauge, as I found that a wooden strap cutter just couldn't cope with this heavy grade leather - certainly for wider straps. And with the price of this leather, you can't afford to be wasteful. Strap cutting with a round knife does work well, but the plough gauge saves a fair bit of time.

It's all done by hand, from edge dying (the leather isn't through dyed) and burnishing (pretty time consuming with about 8 feet of edge on a typical belt) through to fixing the buckle by punching the stitch holes with a diamond awl and saddle stitching with waxed black thread. Buckle holes are punched with an oval punch, as I think the holes look nicer than round ones, and they also let the buckle tongue lie a bit flatter than in a round hole.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff :)

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That's a stunner. I'm impressed you invested in a plough gauge.

I've just sent alot of belts out with oval holes and I agree with you.

That is a very very pretty belt mate.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks for all the nice comments!

I'm impressed you invested in a plough gauge.

With the number of belts I was making, it seemed worthwhile. After spoiling a couple of straps with the wooden cutter, I cut straps with the round knife for a while, whilst watching (and despairing at the price of) various plough gauges on eBay. Eventually managed to pick up a Joseph Dixon plough gauge at a good price (old but in good order) from someone who'd just closed their saddlery business.

IMG_2028.jpg

Geoff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE