Bk2 stockist or silmilar alternative?

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
hi everyone!
Im still in the market for some kit and after lots of reading the Becker BK2 seems to be recommended as a great small/medium knife? Only problem is i can't seem to find a uk stockist?? Can anyone recommend one or a similar alternative knife from the uk to save the postage hassle? all i need is something reliable and of a reasonable size preferably with a sheath.... god you can tell im a newbie!

thanks again!
andy

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
If you want an end-of-the-world **** knife that will put up with anything, the BK2 will do perfectly. If you want a good all-round field/bushcraft knife for pottering about the woods with, there are plenty of lighter and cheaper (especially in the UK) knives about.

BK2s are nice though.

Claudiasboris

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
How much are you looking to spend buddy? Are you bothered about looks or materials? Are you bothered about what steel to go for or have a particular grind in mind? Do you need a leather or kydex sheath?
Just a few considerations to narrow the field.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
You could also try this

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Magnum-Knives/Magnum-Camp-Bowie/p-92-167-2953/

I have one, its a brute of a knife, easily customisable (is that even a word?) but it isn't the easiest thing to sharpen or keep sharp. I believe the parent company is Becker

A mora clipper is a great and commonly recommended knife and should definately be the first purchase - try Lakeland Bushcraft or Heinnie places to check out.

Last edited:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
How much are you looking to spend buddy? Are you bothered about looks or materials? Are you bothered about what steel to go for or have a particular grind in mind? Do you need a leather or kydex sheath?
Just a few considerations to narrow the field.

sorry guys should have been more descriptive-general camping knife, kydex sheath would be fine have to say I like the look of the bk2 So something similar would be awesome-don't know enough to say which steel or grind and would like to spend about £20-30. Don't mind ordering from the states and waiting a bit if you get more for your money :)

thanks again everyone!

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
That Magnum Suffolksteve mentions looks just the ticket - it's got the looks you like and the price is right so you won't mind it getting mucky, bashed up etc (unlike a lot of 'bushcraft' knves.....).

As others have said, Mora's are good value, good knives, very functional. They do lack a bit in the 'cool looks' department........but whatever rocks your boat!

Have fun with whatever you chose!

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
You could also try this

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Magnum-Knives/Magnum-Camp-Bowie/p-92-167-2953/

I have one, its a brute of a knife, easily customisable (is that even a word?) but it isn't the easiest thing to sharpen or keep sharp. I believe the parent company is Becker

A mora clipper is a great and commonly recommended knife and should definately be the first purchase - try Lakeland Bushcraft or Heinnie places to check out.

The Magnum Knives are totally unconnected to Becker, they just look rather similar. They use 440 steel rather than BK&T's 1095 CV. Beckers are made by Ka-Bar.

Got to agree about the Mora: tough to beat at the price. I've got a BK2, but my Mora Clipper tends to get more work.

Claudiasboris

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
The Magnum Knives are totally unconnected to Becker, they just look rather similar. They use 440 steel rather than BK&T's 1095 CV. Beckers are made by Ka-Bar.

Got to agree about the Mora: tough to beat at the price. I've got a BK2, but my Mora Clipper tends to get more work.

Claudiasboris

Absolutely right, magnums parent company is Böker - I knew it was something like that.

As everyone else has said I would recommend the Mora even over the Magnum.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
cheers for all the info guys!! the magnum looks exactly what i want and i can't believe the price either! i dont expect it to be as good as the bk2 due to the price but what is the difference in steels used as mentioned? does this mean the blade will not be as strong? quick other question but if i wanted a different sheath for it wheres the first place to look?
cheers again!!
andy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
cheers for all the info guys!! the magnum looks exactly what i want and i can't believe the price either! i dont expect it to be as good as the bk2 due to the price but what is the difference in steels used as mentioned? does this mean the blade will not be as strong? quick other question but if i wanted a different sheath for it wheres the first place to look?
cheers again!!
andy

Yes, the blade will not be as strong, but that doesn't mean it will be weak! 440 steels are amongst the cheaper stainless knife steels, and for the benefit of reduced corrosion (note reduced, not eliminated) you pay a little in other departments like hardness (edge retention) and strength -- unless you pay a lot of money for the steel. You can get stainless steels which can give much better strength, edge retention and edge quality but the blade blank can cost fifty pounds or even more, before you've put an edge on it, and unlike some of the carbon steels, the heat treatment is not something that can be done in your kitchen. Some of them can be hard to sharpen. Speaking of which, D2 is not generally considered to be a stainless steel (it's a high chromium tool steel) in case you were wondering why people say it keeps an edge for ever. :)

To my knowledge there are three types of 440 steel in use for knives, and only two of those are common. The 440ER which I've seen mentioned is I think a salesman's misunderstanding. The German knifemakers talk about 440-er meaning "a 440-type steel". In other words it's one of 440A, 440B or 440C. I would welcome correction on this point if I have it wrong. Usually if a seller just says it's "440" he means 440A, the cheapest of them. The optimum hardness of 440A will be a few points lower than 440C, something like 55-57 for 440A as against 58-60 for 440C. I have a few 440A blades and they do the job just fine.

1095 is a plain 0.95% carbon steel. Tough as old boots. Hard to go wrong with steels like that but they will go rusty if they stay wet for any length of time. I keep most of my carbon steel blades (chisels, planes, the odd fixed blade) oiled when not in use which is always a bit of a nuisance but they stay sharper that way. When in storage I don't keep them in the sheath, but wrapped in an oily rag, in turn in a polythene bag to keep the oil from getting everywhere.

Lots of people on this forum make sheaths. I have several that I'm very happy with. Ask around.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
after looking at the sheaths all i can say is wow!! what a choice!! i really like the multi system here : http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75510

i probably wouldnt use the detachable bits but love the military design and all the different ways you can attach it-think i would like to be able to have some sort of shoulder carry option as well maybe (sorry dont know the correct term-sling maybe?)

any suggestions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE