bivy as underblanket

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I like to have versatile kit to keep my options open. And so with regard to sleeping out I prefer my hammock but take a bivy just in case there is no where to hang my hammock. But when I do hang my hammock I generally don't use the bivy. So it's extra weight to carry but don't use.
What I am thinking about is using clingons to secure my bivy under the hammock as an under blanket. I would then add some insulation / padding material inside the bivy. I am leaning towards half a down sleeping bag. So it will pack small and be light.
In the event I sleep on the ground then the half a down sleeping bag could act as a mattress. I probably wouldn't need to take my cocoon then and could sell it.
I prefer to have my hammock open anyway so i can peer at when i hear all those scary woodland noises in the middle of the night.

Any suggestions on possible pitfalls would be welcome

Thoughts?

Need list for this project:
- Clingons
- Cheap down sleeping bag

And i would have a snugpak cocoon for sale if there is any interest in one.

Last edited:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
For insulation you could just sleep on a roll mat in your hammock, fit some loops or eyes to the kip mat to keep it in place. Would that work? Or you could even get one of the army "Jungle" sleeping bags. They are cheap as chips on eBay and really light and small too.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I am now thinking of using those tarp clingon's to secure the bivy below the hammock via some elastic cord. The clingons and the elastic cord will also be used to pull the blanket tighter around the hammock. I just need to get some clingons then put up my hammock in the garden and see what works.

I like the idea of dry grass, as it would mean a lighter load, but there is always the risk of not finding any and then having a cold night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE