Bivvy advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Norjohn

Jun 4, 2024
Doncaster
Hi all
I'm looking for some advice, I recently got hold of a dutch army hooped bivvy and I'm dying to try it out but wondered if it might prove to be far too warm here in the UK at the moment for this bivvy. Should I stick with the tent? what are your thoughts/experiences. Cheers.

Reactions: John59

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmm.
Have you tried your stuff yet? Get out there and find out what suits you.

I’d say that it depends on what you sleep in and what you wear when you are sleeping in it.

A bivi and a blanket shouldn’t be too hot as long as you aren’t wearing Arctic base layer pj’s.
I have a fleece liner for my sleeping bag and I’ve just used the liner over the last four days. (In a tent)

It’s very tempting to sleep wearing little or nothing but as you never know what might disturb your sleep I’d recommended the lightest full arm and leg base layer that you can find. Mine is just a cheap Trespass set. That way I can afford to push the blanket/fleece down to my waist without exposing acreages of bare dining space to the local nightlife.

I’m sure others folk have more specifically designed equipment.

Like everything in camping, it’s all down to personal preference and all you can do is get out there and try it.

pee ess
You don’t have to use the bivi just because you brought it out with you. You can always just swag.

Edited to correct the corrections.

Last edited:

Norjohn

Jun 4, 2024
Doncaster
Cheers Pattree
I haven't used it yet, planning to get out on Wednesday, like the idea of the base layer and blanket, hadn't thought of that, or simply using it as a swag. Thanks for the advice.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
To give you my experiences:

I've just been using the Dutch hooped bivvy for a week doing the Frontier Intermediate course.

The bivvy certainly adds some warmth to your overall set up, but it isn't the difference between cold-just right-sweltering. That's going to be down to the rest of your sleep system: mat, sleeping bag, liner and clothing. And while you may be very warm when you get inside, as I frequently was, the ambient temperature drops dramatically around 3-4am.

The temp last week was variable, I was mostly camped inside our shelter and occasionally next to a fire. The bivvy has good adjustability ranging from being completely cocooned, to having the zips partially open, to having the zips completely open and laying the hoop back flat like a baby carrier.

I would absolutely follow Pattree's advice and keep your limbs covered. I made the mistake of sleeping in my undies with and without a tee. While I could manage my temperature fine, I have, I would guestimate, 30-40 mossie bites as a result of sleeping with the bivvy and my bag open, exposing my delicious limbs.

We had a biblical storm on Thursday night and overall I was very impressed with the bivvy's water repellancy. BUT - if water is allowed to pool on it, and if there is something inside making contact with the shell, like your sleeping bag, it will get wet.

As it was, only the foot of my sleeping bag got wet which was no real problem.

Lesson learnt: air and then drybag your sleeping bag til bed time.

Best option is to lay the bivvy on its side (zips down) if it rains.

Things to note:

While the bag is quite roomy, that room runs out quickly once you shove a sleeping bag and an air mat in there. It's designed to work with a closed cell foam mat on the outside.
I was in there with a very thick air mat, an air pillow and a down sleeping bag which really didn't leave a lot of room for wiggling. The toe box was quite tight. Lying on my back I had about 1-2 inches of space from nose to roof when enclosed. But a lot more width-ways.

Once you seal yourself in, it is basically a coffin. In some respects, that's a good thing; you feel very protected from the elements. But it may trigger or reveal some claustrophobia. I'd definitely get inside with all your gear at home before hitting the field just so you know what you're dealing with. Undoing the zips a little will provide a reassuring draft.

There is a decent amount of headroom at the top of the bag, but don't expect to get a 45l pack in there. There was ample room for me to keep a pillow, change of underwear, a fleece, torch and a small drybag with electricals.

Pegging it out isn't essential but it does help provide some structure.

As you may know/have read, the zips are pretty crap. Go slowly with them and be mindful of them being under tension or getting fabric caught in them. And keep them covered with their flaps.

Hope this is helpful,

F.

20240728_202113.jpg

20240803_082240.jpg

Norjohn

Jun 4, 2024
Doncaster
That’s fabulous. Thanks for sharing all that experience and it looks like you had a great time. Thanks for all the advice I’ll give it a go.

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Great report by Foogs, totally agree. I generally lift the foot end a bit by shoving a small bag of kit or food down the bottom to aid water run-off. My Alpkit has an external loop so I can tension the full length with a guy and short stick. I usually leave it a bit open with the zips up high for ventilation/prevent interior condensation, with or without a small low tarp over. Rarely get rain coming in as the flap covers it a bit.

Reactions: Norjohn

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I've got two Dutch army hooped bivis. I'm dying to try one but haven't yet.

The Dutch army hooped bivi has a fly net, did you not use it, for those who got bitten, or is it just not very effective?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve just bought 5L of Fabsil Universal (bog standard) today and checked exactly that:

FABSIL say:
IMG_6812.jpeg
GORE-TEX say:
IMG_6813.jpeg

Reactions: Dan00001

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Fabsil seems to be a silicone based water repellant. So it should only be used on the outer fabric not Goretex itself. Hmmm. it might not actually wet GT so maybe it does not block all the pores.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Using things like TX Direct Wash-in on Goretex/breathable membranes seems odd, as you're making the inside of the garment/bivi water repellent too? Whilst by spraying, using something like TX Direct Spray-on, you control what areas get the coating, i.e. only the exterior fabric that needs the water repellency. What good would it do making the inside of a bivi or coat water repellent?

Wash with Nikwax Tech Wash to clean everything including the pores of the membrane, then spray the exterior with TX Direct Spray-on, seems the most logical to me, but I can't say I've compared other methods to know what actually works best.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I've got two Dutch army hooped bivis. I'm dying to try one but haven't yet.

The Dutch army hooped bivi has a fly net, did you not use it, for those who got bitten, or is it just not very effective?

I didn't have mine closed as it was too warm to be completely sealed inside the bivvy.

I'm sure it would keep you bite-free if you were totally enclosed and using the bug net.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m not preaching Fabsil but I wouldn’t touch anything that came in a spray can (Including Fabsil). The cost per M^2 is ridiculous. My previous purchase was a single litre at just under £20 and that proofed just one three person tent (used in a reusable sprayer set on fine). Even then I didn’t get to go over the seams again as is my habit.

I now have 5 litres which will cover at nearly half the price of 1 litre and last me a few seasons.

I have used it on my old (No zips) British Army bivi without any problems at all even though the old seam tape has come off and I haven’t replaced it.

I have learned the hard way to wash out my plastic sprayer several times and to put a full tank through the nozzle before putting it away.

You’ll be fine using Fabsil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE