Bivi bag and sleeping bag - What's it like as I am very tempted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Evening folks.
As I continue to trawl the forums and the net I'm looking at options on what to buy.

At the mo I don't have a tent and don't really need one as the gf won't be joining me for a camp until it warms up.

Much of my camping will be in rather open areas (no woodland here), by the coast behind dykes etc.

I have always like the look of sleeping in a bivi and a tarp over myhead if it's a bit windy or wet.
The summers here although not that warm (still too warm for me mind you!) are very bright. After all it's the land of the midnight sunan it can be quite the fantabulous place.

So what are your opinions on the sleeping systems out there? Such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-US-Army-M...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item334a968961

It looks great although a bit of a weight with both bags in it and for that price I can get a nice wee tent I can cook in the porch etc.
I believe the same can be achieved with ex army stuff?

All in all I want a bivi. Love the simplicity and it will happen :D

I look forward to you replies.
Cheers folks

Mabs

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
All I can say is I think mine's great.

Bit bulky when all items are packed but you won't need both sleep bags in spring/summer.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Just searched the forums for 'modular sleep system' and reading the posts.
I think I may get it :D

Must be amazing sleeping out in the open an knowing my luck wil wake up with a sheep snuggled into me ..

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just searched the forums for 'modular sleep system' and reading the posts.
I think I may get it :D

Must be amazing sleeping out in the open an knowing my luck wil wake up with a sheep snuggled into me ..

:lmao:
Widnae have thought luck came into it up there...thought it was an ancient custom:D
It is great and you can get some wildlife coming by for a nosey.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Got some fantastic coastal locations full of seals and otters. Mind you, even a walk to tesco's is full o Seals and possible otters and killer whales..;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Got some fantastic coastal locations full of seals and otters. Mind you, even a walk to tesco's is full o Seals and possible otters and killer whales..;)

Aye,
Nice place tae be.
We dae no' bad for the same doon here.
More Minkies than Orca but they've been seen.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
bivi bags can be fun but cheap ones get damp inside and in terms of weight by the time you add a tarp and bivvy bag together you can get a wee tent at similar weight. Depends what your doing really you cant get changed in busy places in a bivvy bag like a tent but i suppose you will be in remote places. Also theres no escape from midges unless you get one with a mozzy net incorporated into the zip but it is a nice way to star gaze on clear nights pros and cons i guess i lean towards a small tent most of the time mine weighs under 2 kilos and packs in a 45 litre sack with all the trimmings

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
No seen minkies yet.
I see you're in Ayrshire.
What's it like that way? I'm hoping to go to the SAC at Ayr to study next year.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
No seen minkies yet.
I see you're in Ayrshire.
What's it like that way? I'm hoping to go to the SAC at Ayr to study next year.

It's really pretty good.
I walk the grounds and the River Ayr at Auchincruive Sac,you'll love it.

Coast,moorland,hills and woodland all nearby and of course there's quite a few of us down here.:D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Reading that book, its great. Like the sound of the Bruces crown in it. Know that area a bit and 42 miles in 24 hours up there is a bit of a feat. Darn rugged terrain. Makes the Howgills out of the wy places seem positively carpeted.

You won't go wrong with a good bivvy, tarp and sleeping bag. Can I suggest to save weight looking at outdoorwarhouse.co.uk since they are selling some nice kit off at up to 50% offf. End of line UL sleeping bags from golite. If there's anything left that is. Get as quilt good mat and a light bivvy n tarp and your sorted. BTW my tarp and bivvy is about 700g and compact when packed away. Even the laser photon is heavier than that and bulkier. I've not even got a light set-up. I know of waterproof bivvies weighing 100g and tarps that weigh little more. It is not unheard of someone having a tarp and bivvy less than 300g although to get down to that weight you are talking a tarp of cuben fibre crisp packets and tiny too so that it only covers the head and upper torso in a flying v.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Check out team io for tarps and bivvy bags. They do light and quite cheap for the UL and SUL stuff over here in the UK.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What's the Shetlands like? Me and a mate were talking of doing a mad winter trip once. Only staying in hostels but we thought a winter walking trip up to Shetlands would have been interesting. It just got too difficult with timings and free days for hols. Ended up an extended weekend (4 days) just up the road in the Lakes (other end to me but still only 1.5 hours away at most).

Intend to get up there sometime. Anywhere particularly worth going to? What about wildcamping? I am guessing its the same rules as rest of Scotland so basically tuck yourself out of the way and your ok.?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE