Bit of finishing advice...

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi guys,

So swmbo was getting a bit pee'd off with wood shavings all over the place so as a piece offering I suggested the next thing I made would be something nice for her.

Now my carving skills are mediocre but I like to think I can carve fairly good basic shapes but never really tried anything artistic or fine detailed.

So far I have made this to keep swmbo happy and would like to decorate it, for lack of a better term, but in a natural way and want to avoid paints, stains etc...

4d607d74-2536-8ce2.jpg

I tried chip carving and couldn't get on with it and just looking for some ideas/inspiration.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hmm kolrosing is now intriguing me.

Am I right in thinking the wood needs to be finished, sanded and sealed (I take it oiled counts as sealed) before scoring the design and applying the coffee/darkening agent?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hmm kolrosing is now intriguing me.

Am I right in thinking the wood needs to be finished, sanded and sealed (I take it oiled counts as sealed) before scoring the design and applying the coffee/darkening agent?

It needs to be finished up to the point you'd seal it with the oil.

You do the decorating with a sharp knife rub the cinnamon or coffee in then seal it all in with the oil finish

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Kolrosing: make wooden thing smooth, pencil in design, use fine knife-point to incise design, rub in powdered coal/charcoal, oil, let dry, sand, oil.
Barkrosing: as above,but with powdered bark.

I think that's all, feel free to point out any flaws in my technique.(Or suggestions for improvement)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE