Bison Walnut....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Poble y BCUK,

I have just bought a Bison Bushcraft off Tony aka ScanDgrind over at BB. His has walnut scales, what are the plus and minus points of walnut? Just wondering!

Cheers,

Jake

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
To be honest, that depends on your opinion. I would say they're quite different. The Walnut is a lot darker and warmer IMO. You may get some nice figure on it if you're lucky.

At the least, surely it's nice to have something different from usual. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I assume that you don't mean pros and cons of looks? Like it has been said, that is down to what you like.

Walnut tends to be fairly open grained wood, it needs to be sealed really well. Curly birch and maple don't have the same open pores. That shouldn't make a difference if it is properly finished. Walnut is fairly light weight wood and is fairly stable. Again that is really down to seasoning and finish. Oil finishes tend to darken walnut to nearly black over extended time, just look at really old shotgun stocks. That isn't the walnut's fault, just that the oil oxidises and darkens whatever it is put on.

Can't think of anything more...

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Hi Poble y BCUK,

I have just bought a Bison Bushcraft off Tony aka ScanDgrind over at BB. His has walnut scales, what are the plus and minus points of walnut? Just wondering!

Cheers,

Jake
That'll be my old one mate! He he he!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Really? Thats wasnt mentioned! Hes said it is in good nick, so if it is i am happy!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Really? Thats wasnt mentioned! Hes said it is in good nick, so if it is i am happy!
Well, I certainly sold him one with walnut scales ...

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its here! Wow, first impressions :eek:): .

Ever so slight grind marks, but nothing that bothers me as it can be sorted easily. Razor sharp (but *razor* sharp after the starkie :wink:).

Smells nice as well :roll: . A lot smaller than the WS woodlore, i like it as i have quite small hands. I wish i could find that bloomin digital camera lead, then i could show you, i'll keep searching though.

Highly recomended, the sheath is nice and sturdy, i see what Adi means by the firesteel being welded in!

:pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE