Bison Bushcraft Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The Bison Bushcraft knife is one of a number of excellent knives made by Roger Harrington at Bison.

Retailing at £130 at the time of this review, it is in my opinion a lot of knife for the money. It's slightly smaller than the Woodlore knife with an overall length of 195mm, 90mm being the blade and 105mm for the handle. The blade is made of 3mm thick 01 tool steel and has a true flat grind that is exceptionally easy to maintain. My knife has Yew slabs with 2 high quality brass pins to consolidate the slabs with the full tang. Other options for the handle are available at no extra charge, namely Apple, Ash, Birch, Cherry, Elm, Pear, Walnut and Maple. Exotic slabs can be ordered for an extra £15.
The sheath is a nice tight fit and made from high quality hide which incorporates a firesteel loop and Rogers combination belt or neck option. The stitching is neat and secure and the front has a Bison logo stamped into the hide.
Roger supplies his Bushcraft knives complete with a firesteel which is the same size as the larger army model in the 'Light My Fire' range.

To sum up, this is a fantastic knife, well suited to me as I have small hands. For those with larger hands I would recommend the Bison Woodsman or similar. Below are some pics for your perusal.

The Bison in my hand...Just the right size
m4rknifehand.jpg

Side profile.
v8rknifeprofile.jpg

Full tang from below.
u1ktang.jpg

Size comparison with a Frosts Mora.
x1s2knives.jpg

The sheath with neck lanyard and the incuded firesteel.
c3ksheath.jpg

Firesteel comparison. Bison firesteel on the right.
z3tfiresteels.jpg

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask :)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Excellent stuff Dave....The knife certainl does feel secure in the sheath!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Looks a really nice knife Dave bet you are chuffed. I think the Yew roger uses make his best handles. Not many other makers offer it (that I've seen).

Bill

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
At this year's Wilderness Gathering I tried a beautiful Bison Woodsman knife with Yew scales. Since then it has been my dream knife.

Back to reality though - I have just taken the plunge and ordered a Scandi Packpal from Allan Blade with Curly Maple scales and plain pins..... :)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That is a great knife. I really like the comfortable look and the fact that the edge almost starts at the handle end. It just screams 'worker'. Sheath looks great too.

-Emile

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
did anyone else get the new Bison catalogue today??

i think its a sign..the bushcrafti gods are telling me "get a bison bushcraft knife!!!!" :roll:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
tomtom said:
did anyone else get the new Bison catalogue today??

i think its a sign..the bushcrafti gods are telling me "get a bison bushcraft knife!!!!" :roll:

Yeah, I did, like the look of the bushman's pal knife!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I got one too! Im liking the look of all of them.....stop it jake....:twak: :wink:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I got one too, nicely produced. I do fancy one of those ventile smocks but can't afford it :cry: The knife I'm working on is similar to the woodsman.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I've lost the catalogue (very funny, before any jokes :wink: :roll: ). So i can't look and wonder what i could get.....:shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE