Bison Bushcraft Knife

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

maddave

Full Member
Jan 2, 2004
4,177
40
Manchester UK
Just picked my BB knife up from the post office and I must say I'm very pleased.

Razor sharp, well oiled and beautifully made. The sheath is exceptionally robust and the knife is a good size without being overkill.

Well done Roger.... a real craftsman :super:
 
Good one Dave ... they are fine knives indeed. Kath has one and so did I (I got rid of mine because I felt that the handle was a tad too large for my puny hands!). But it's a super blade - better finished, more robust and more features than the WS Woodlore I replaced it with.

Enjoy the knife Dave!!!!
 
Gary said:
Which model was it Dave?

It's the "bushcraft". :o): Yew Handle and Roger even made the grip of the firesteel in Yew to match..Exceptional !! I'll up some piccies tonight when I get home. (I picked it up on the way to work)

Ya just can't beat that Taxus Baccata Fastigiata :-D
 
Here's the pics
bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg


Quality not the best I'm afraid :roll:
 
That’s one very nice looking knife Dave. The sheath is interesting, is that to your own requirements/specification? It’s very different from mine – I have what I think is Roger’s standard neck/waist combination sheath.

ranger
 
Dave,
that's a lovely knife. Is it smaller/lighter than the Woodlore?
Do you mind me asking how long the waiting time is for one?
Aid
 
I wanted to get one of those. But then woodlore offered me an immediate delivery of the micrat, so i got that instead. Looks nice!

Jake
 
nice knife Dave, the fire steel is pretty too.How can you tell its taxus baccata fastigata(the upright irish yew) from taxus baccata (english yew)? no need to answer.I'm just being facecous cos I'm jelous :wave:
 
The sheath on that one is difference to the one that Kath and I have/had. In fact, it looks a lot better and easier to use because on the old sheath you could only thread it onto a thin belt.

Very nice knife Dave ... that should give you a lot of pleasure to use!
 
Hi guys
Woo hoo Loadsa questions :-D I'll do my best to answer them

The waiting time at the moment is 5 to 6 months and the sheath is different to Roger's earlier models It is flexible when you sit down
like the Scandinavian styles, you can also remove the belt loop and replace
it with cord to convert to neck carry so you get the best of both worlds (and more importantly don't have to fork out another £45 for a neck sheath like you do with a woodlore.) The blade length is approx 90mm, Handle length 105mm and the blade width is about 3mm. It's slightly smaller and in my opinion a little more ""handleable" than the Alan Wood (I don't have big hands like some :-) ) You can have either applewood or antler as standard for handle materials, but for a few quid more Roger can make more exotic slabs for you. I had to go out and christen it last night and it performed admirably, and the supplied firesteel did send a sizzling shower of sparks and burn the coffee table when I showed Jules how it worked :oops: (sorry hunny).

Closing comment: Cracking knife with every attention paid to detail and quality. Equally as good as a woodlore and well worth the money. Waiting time may seem a bit long to some, but would you want it rushed through? Quality takes time.

If there are any questions I've not answered here, please feel free to ask em.

Oh !! nearly forgot Roger's site link http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/

Cheers
 
ESpy said:
What's the attachment between loop & sheath? The picture looks like a couple of thongs - are they secure enough?

It's 1 x 3mm thong looped through. Looks sturdy enough but could easily enough be replaced by split rings for example
 
maddave said:
...the sheath is different to Roger's earlier models It is flexible when you sit down
like the Scandinavian styles, you can also remove the belt loop and replace
it with cord to convert to neck carry so you get the best of both worlds

Totally agree on the sheath design. I have a knife by Trond that is similar proportions and he did the same belt loop design on that - it's by far the most comfortable carry system I've tried. The rigid sheaths are fine when you're walking about, but stick out or dig into you when you crouch or sit down. Tronds sheath (and that one too from the looks of it), flexes with your hips when you move - very cofortable. I had thought for a while that a European style pouch sheath combined with a scandi loop style would be superb - looks like someone else had the same thought. V.cool! :biggthump
 
Nice knife and nice sheath - I like those Bison knives a lot. The scandi "belt loop system" is, as Martyn and a couple of others have pointed out in this thread, a nice way of preventing getting jabbed by the knifehandle when you sit down in your car, next to the campfire or anywhere else for that matter. Its also much more comfortable if you use the hipbelt on your backpack, as the knife will swing out of the way instead of being rigid on your belt.
 
maddave said:
It's the "bushcraft". :o): Yew Handle and Roger even made the grip of the firesteel in Yew to match..Exceptional !! I'll up some piccies tonight when I get home. (I picked it up on the way to work)

Ya just can't beat that Taxus Baccata Fastigiata :-D

I don't think that's a yew handle on the Firesteel. Light-my-Fire makes (made?) a few of the Army (larger sized) Firesteels with wooden handles like that.

BTW, the convention in the binominal system is that the generic name starts with a capital and the specific name(s) start with lower case and are usually rendered in italics or underlined. Thus: Taxus baccata

Incidentally, Bison Bushcraft has a new compact model: the 'Bushman's Pal'. I think it's a terrific little knife.

Burt Ash
 
Burnt Ash,
Do you know where I can get a picture of the bushman's pal as I can't find one on the Bb website?

Crofter
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE