birthday camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Me and my mate ben went for a night out in the woods last night, just thought I’d share a few photo’s.

ben enjoying the view
35l8evk.jpg

The view
2wpsg1y.jpg

my set up
29dbxw0.jpg

35crb5z.jpg

we were sharing the wood with some badgers
2h81wud.jpg

29c5tz7.jpg

331jf28.jpg

se5a35.jpg

2l8ya1k.jpg

I don’t know what happened to this tree but it’s been like it for years, it keeps on growing just fine
erwv84.jpg

10wmohz.jpg

some huge……erm…..generic bracket fungus growing inside the tree
2dbs4fd.jpg

it’s hard to tell but this one was almost a foot across
2568u8h.jpg

birch polypore?
2ajbc4.jpg

sero12.jpg

veabtf.jpg

i haven't a clue what these are, any ideas? if it helps they’re growing on rotting beech.
2mww9pi.jpg

a bit closer
2m439sz.jpg

the obligatory shot of the bushcraft tv
2rcmn4j.jpg

a great night out, and a lovely way to celebrate making it to 34, cheers ben.

Thanks for looking

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
cheers mate, 'tis a superb view, looking eastwards over the amber valley, i personally think that it's even better from the other side.
thanks for the birthday wishes, sharing a bottle of whisky by the fire with a good friend is just about the best way i can think of to celebrate

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....the fungus on the rotting Beech, it looks like Turkey Tail

you could well be right steve, TBH i didn't spend enough time looking at it to get any proper details stuck in my head (went very lightweight so left notebook and field guides at home), we didn't get there 'til about noon so daylight time was limited and dry firewood takes some finding up there (it's at almost exactly a thousand feet so tends to get more than its fair share of weather).

thanks all for the comments and birthday wishes :grouphug:

stuart

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2011
Sheffield
Looks like you a had a good Birthday to me Stuart....and a bottle of whisky to boot, heavenly! I've not been camping with my bivvi as yet. I've always ended up in my tent or tipi. I'll brave it sometime soon though. Nice spot you chose too!

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great photos Stu, i like that gnarled looking tree,gives it some character.Looks like you had a good time. The fungus on the dead beech looks like Trametes versicolor (Turkey tail).Belated happy birthday. Cheers.

Darren

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for the comments everyone :You_Rock_

i think i'm going to have to get up there asap and check that fungus out again, turkey tail seems to be the consensus, a little more detail (on my part) should get me a little closer to a definate answer.

@darren - that tree is stunning mate, my photo's really don't do it justice at all, it's been like that for as long as anyone can remember and it just seems to keep on going, as you said, real character.

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
cheers drew

Looks like you were beheaded in the first pic, where is your head gone?

Loving the piccies ! Nice one!

that's my mate ben in the photo, not me, but you do make a very valid point, i'm sure his head was there later on, he was pouring whiskey somewhere anyway!

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE