Birds nest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Can anyone come up with any ideas on what bird would make a nest like this on the ground?
I spotted it amongst a small stand of Norway spuce that was in a smallish unused grazing paddock. I couldn't say for sure whether it was still in use or not.

I don't know whether its relevant or not but within a 30yd radius of the nest site there was A LOT of carcasses/bones from various birds/animals, rabbit,pheasant,duck plus other small rodents and birds. I would of thought that the carcasses would of been the work of Charlie Fox but this paddock was well fenced and was no scat or any sign of a fox.

Is it possible that the nest was made by a bird of prey?? Its got me intrigued :confused:

DSC00041.jpg

Cheers

Brian

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
jon r said:
Are you sure its not a pigeons nest thats falen out of a tree? I had one just like this which fell out of a conifer tree in high winds.

I did think about it being an old nest that had fallen out or maybe a squirrel drey but seemed too big to me? Also,it's not easy to spot in the picture, there is what seems to be an entrance into the "nest" on the left hand side

Brian

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Fenlander said:
It could be a Magpie's nest which has fallen out of a tree, as they build a top over their nest.

I would agree with Maggie nest.
Doesn't quite seem like a Sprawks which are usually further in the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE