Bird song is....

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
.... driving me nuts:aargh4: at the moment.

Now I like to hear the birds singing but there is one type that we get at this time of year that chirps from sunrise to sun set and it is a high pitch rhythmic chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp etc... all the time and it starts to grate and is in no way pleasant.

The bird in question is very small, some sort of finch maybe??

Even with the windows shut I still hear them and I am slowly going bonkers :aargh4:

Anyone else get the little blighters?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes that's it blacktimberwolf ...aaarrrggghh!!!!

As to whether it's better than traffic noise, and I have the M25 very nearby, I will take the traffic noise.

Just something about this one bird that screeches my nerves and right through me and it is all day and lots of them-very loud.

Steve.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Two birds have the capacity to drive me nuts - and people find it odd

The worst so far this year is the mating song thrush. Non stop from 5am, close to the house and endless! They nest in the wildlife hedge we created and I'm happy about that - but MAN those things are loud.

The very worst? Nightjars! Rare beasts I'm told. Twitchers used to walk around our place at 3am and were surpised when a window was flung up and "bugg** orff you noisy so*s" was yelled at the object of their adoration :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great tit :sigh: sits in the Sycamore and does it's whoo who, whoo who, whoo who, whistle sound like a damned squeaky wheel for hours on end. I like seeing the birds, knowing they're there and thriving, but that one I want to find sleeping and wake 'him' up every day for a week :evilgrin:
Now the woodpeckers have started on the broken trunks of the willows that came down a couple of storms ago ....:rolleyes:

cheer,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wood pigeons are the ones that get me.

One woke me up last week with a loud 'bang' as I was trying to sleep whilst driving.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I get narky when a car goes past my place or a helicopter or plane flies overhead, thankfully it's not too often.
Puts me right off my train of thought it does, I just like lying down on the sofa with the windows open listening to everything going on.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
yep, it's the police helicopters that drive me berserk

even though we're in the city we live off a footpath next to a large park, seeing (and hearing) the house sparrows in the nearest field is one the highlights of my day

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
51cf5bc3-1.jpg

His spirit lives on!

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I was camping up in Scotland a couple of years back in early June, so long days. From about 3 am to 11 pm there was a very loud cuckoo nearby. As soon as s/he gave up the night shift came on duty - a pair of tawny owls. Between the daylight, the midges and the birds there wasn't much chance of sleeping that week.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Woke at 2am this morning for a pee so decided ,after to have a ciggy and listen to the dawn chorus - caught site of some geese heading north and maybe a night jar clacking around in the dark -a first for me -so not sure !! But what chorus !! stayed up for a while to enjoy it !! :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's not many that bother me at all but one building site I worked at was right beside a large house in a country estate. Big peacock's make a hell of a din.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i have housemartin nests right by my bedroom window, about 6 feet from my head. being woken up by the fledgelings crying to be fed at the break of dawn is one of the greatest joys in my life and one that i'm really looking forward to when it comes round again in another couple of months time. house sparrows nesting in the cavity in the bathroom wall are a slightly different matter though, they drive the dog crazy, very very funny

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I used to live on the sea front in Plymouth, as a student, on the top floor with a flat roof directly overhead. 4 or 5am ever day in summer there would be a dozen or so Herring gulls standing on the roof screaming at the tops of their lungs, and doing a sort of 'paddling' dance as part of their courtship & bonding routine. From immediately below it sounded like they were wearing clogs.

I'm not a seaside sort of person.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE