Bird ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Out on my rounds of the farm yesterday, I found a pretty well chewed up bird carcass below a large beech tree. There was not much left but a wing and a pile feathers. I can't find anything similar in any guidebooks. These are some of them:
97ba59b8.jpg

I'm guessing owl, by the shape, but not completely sure. Any ideas.....?

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
does the edge of the main feather have a comb like effect? That will identify it well for an owl. what is the underside of the main feather like in colour?

big question is what killed it? could be poisoning? shootking?

Last edited:

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
does the edge of the main feather have a comb like effect? That will identify it well for an owl. what is the underside of the main feather like in colour?

big question is what killed it? could be poisoning? shootking?

It does have a comb like edge, so probably owl, but which one? The markings are different to any I have seen.
As to how it died - a mystery. I found it on the edge of our woods, in the middle of 44 acres of private land, and it's only me that shoots here.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Spaniel Man.
I was just wondering what bird book you were using? This one is very good but I haven’t got it on me ATM and I have only been studying the tracks really so far but I will have a look later on today.
Just had a quick look on line and Bushwhacker ‘s Turkey seems to fit the bill OK.

Brown, Ferguson, Lawrence, Lees.
Tracks and Signs of Birds: 2nd Ed. 2009.
Christopher Helm. ISBN 978-0-7136-5382-3

Last edited:

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Ah, I hadn't considered turkey, all of ours were eaten a few weeks ago, and they were Norfolk Blacks. There has been a lot of fox activity recently, as our neighbour shot the dominant dog a few weeks ago, and there has been a few others spotted in the area. Maybe one of them the culprit?
Thanks for all the info....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE