Birch Tapping Virgin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2007
Darkest Dumfries
I’ve been looking forward all winter for the sap to start rising and finally get to tap a tree. My yardstick has been the Silver Birch in our garden. Tried it this morning, loads of juicy sap

Plastic bottles and tubes in hand set off into the local woods to tap all the ordinary birch I’ve been eyeing up since November. Nothing! Plug the holes and come home.
Is there a difference in time between the Silver birch and the ordinary? Or is it down to local environmental factors? I’ll try again at the weekend! Has anybody else experienced the same?

Arboreal Coitus interruptus

Tinky

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Same tree.(probably or a cultivar of)
Maybe the one in your garden is in a more sunny aspect.The ones in the woods will follow shortly.
You are a fair way north of here so it takes a week or two longer for spring to reach Scotland. :D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I too am a Birch tapp'in virgin :p

Just this evening I popped down to our local/boating lake to tap my knife into the birch and see if it was ready. It certainly was! And I had my first taste of the sap, nice and sweet. I'll setup a tap tomorrow.

Im no expert on identifying trees (yet! :p ) but im certain its a silver-birch the one I tried. I live the opposite end of this island too :rolleyes: sunny Cornwall :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE