Birch sap

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Does anybody tap birch for water or for making syrup.
I have seen someone do it every year in Ashdown forest.
I'm thinking that I'll try it out.
From what I've read it's a 100 to 1 ratio to make syrup.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
You'll have to wait till the saps rising in March if you want any amount Hugo.
Wait till the buds are just opening
You can get the Augers on Ebay for much cheapness!..

Simon

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I remember last year I was going to take birch sap for the kids to taste and reconed I'd drill a hole, put in a pipe with a bottle attached, leave it for a couple of hours to fill and then let everybody have a sip.
The bottle filled in less than five minutes. It must have been the perfect day.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
This is my birch tapping kit :) looking forward to getting some more in march;)
Birchtappingkit.jpg

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i was going to ask, what gauge would be best, i don't want to leave some huge hole but i want to pull a fair amount of sap, this year just a knife slit was enough to fill a bottle very quick!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
An inch auger on a decent size tree seems fine to me. I use one. There were some cheap ones going on The Bay a few months ago. Good quality Scotch Eye Augers made about 40 years ago and still in their protective wax/oil. No more than a few pounds.

If you want to also try Norway Maple (very similar to Sycamore) then worth a go too. Sugar content % is down to about 1 or 2% though which is lower than the 4+% you get for Sugar Maple and slightly less than Birch I think. I also think that you can tap Sycamore too - and I might have done thinking it was Norway Maple.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
last spring myself and a couple of mates tapped a few smallish birch, just using a small hand drill and a couple of bottles. We started in the morning and finished in the evening, and ended up with around 2 pints from four trees. It's a subtle but sweet taste. Very refreshing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE