birch sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
What is birch sap supposed to taste like? I tapped a load the other day and the results were rather disappointing. Is it supposed to be sweet and tasteful, because mine just tasted like water with a slight bark-like aftertaste. And no, it didn't rain here last night.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
It tastes quite bland. Sugar it up and it will be better. Or maybe boil it down a little.

There are few things in nature that tastes good to people so used to refined sugar as we are. If you almost never tasted anything sweet at all birch sap would probably be like a taste of heaven. :)

Torjus Gaaren

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Yep, that's the taste of birch sap :)
Someone asked what it tasted of a while ago and a few of us tried to answer. The best we could come up with was ''Cold water with a slight taste of the wilds''.
Personally I really like the taste but I like to think of it as simply water. If you compare it next to the tap water where I live (chlorine and limescale :rolleyes: ) then it's a very nice alternative :D

I was the one who asked, after having tasted tetrapacked birch sap from Belarus. I've had the real thing since, after tapping birch on a nearby uni campus. Same taste. Well it's refreshing and pure, but not exactly something to look out for every year.

M

Mattwills1978

Have any of you guys tried boiling it down to a syrup or further? I harvested a couple of litres of sap last weekend - came out clear but had turned yellow by the time I got it home - have any of you guys had a similar experience? :confused:

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I tried boiling it down to a syrup today. Don't bother unless you have loads to start with, I started with a bottlefull and finished with a substance that was sickly sweet, a disgusting colour and burnt my tongue several times.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I usually reduce the sap down when making wine, but not to a syrup - usually only by around 50%. This is usually enough for the flavours and sweetness to become much more apparent when drinking though, and gives a nice addition to the wine.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I dried the sap in the sun once, convinced that it would give me a strong glue (don't remember why I thought so). I ended up with a thin layer of very strong and hard substance. Didn't find any use for it though. Wasn't able to make it work like glue.

Torjus Gaaren

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
I collected 4 litres of Birch sap yesterday :D .Having allready made wine with Birch sap this year.I decided to reduce it and make a syrup.My my,was I dissapointed.....Not enough to put on half a piece of toast :lmao:
Pictue to follow :lmao:

Y

Young bushman

Try crushing up some charcole and adding that to the sap before using it that will make a strong useful glue

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE