Birch Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

Im really wanting to try out birch sap this year as the idea of it has been tempting me since I got into this silly bushcraft thing. But I won't be able to get out until april. Will the sap still be running then?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Actually I doubt it. The sap will stop flowing as soon as the leaf buds open. It depends on how soon that is. This depends on your location as well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Actually I doubt it. The sap will stop flowing as soon as the leaf buds open. It depends on how soon that is. This depends on your location as well.

Lot of difference tree to tree within the same area too. If its getting a lot of sun (exposed) or south facing that will speed things along too.
Check it and see.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Lot of difference tree to tree within the same area too. If its getting a lot of sun (exposed) or south facing that will speed things along too.
Check it and see.

I didn't know that, thanks. I did try a local tree today, but nothing yet.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I'm in the peak district and i tried 6 trees within a 400 metre radius and only 2 of them were flowing with sap yesterday.
As said above, it depends on your location in the country and also local geography. I have tapped a tree in sheffield, in a shaded in late march before with some success but the quantity was less than what i might expect to get in early march.

Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Thanks for the replies guys. Luckily I've decided to up and get out this Sunday. Going to head to Delamere for a wee bimble and see if I cant tap a birch or two there. Wish me luck!

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Although admittedly not as elegant as those seen elsewhere, does anyone know if this guys technique for tapping is ok to use for those of us without a drill bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5Fn1UM5YM

My concerns would be closing up the cut afterwards. Also the video above shows the method used on Canadian birch trees, do these produce more sap than UK birch, meaning that a small slit is enough to get a lot of sap quickly for that guy, but not me?

Thanks.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
My idea was to get it ray mears country tracks style. Poke the tree then use a stick to guide the sap down. I was gonna place a half plasitc bottle beneath it to catch the sap, then decant that into another bottle. Is this feasible, or am I really look to do the whole drill thing?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I find putting some twigs in a mug of water is a better alternative to the birch sap experience.

4263909358_969dc2c0f4_b.jpg

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
My idea was to get it ray mears country tracks style. Poke the tree then use a stick to guide the sap down. I was gonna place a half plasitc bottle beneath it to catch the sap, then decant that into another bottle. Is this feasible, or am I really look to do the whole drill thing?

I tried this last year, and unless you have a really strong sap flow, it will be extremely slow. The best results I've had is by cutting a twig, hanging a bottle from the branch and leave it overnight. I think the drilling, unless you mee a really good plug, is an unnessecary risk for the health of the tree.

Jan 26, 2013
South Wales
went out with my little girl to tap trees this morning. we did three... although i tested dozens only a few were running. left three bottles out and plan to return in the morning. i did use a small hand drill for the trees i chose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE