Birch Sap! We have lift off!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
For all those who are interested the Birch sap is on the rise. Been out today with my tapping gear. It seems to be flowing at a fair rate, but recon it'll be next week befor it reaches full flow. For all thoes wine makers out there, it's time to dust off the demijons and head for the woods! :D

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
The sap was rising pretty rapidly this weekend and I tapped a couple of litres yesterday afternoon which i picked up after work today :D

Its my first year that i've done any tapping or tasted birch sap, and i was very pleased by its flavour. Yum.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
4lt's so far with 9 more 750ml bottles out. I will post some pic's later. Interested to know how much people collect & what they are doing with it!

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
DSCN0424.jpg

Here's the return so far from my first tree... i think you might just about notice a few tablespoons worth in the bottom there.

DSCN0426.jpg

This is just to show my little tapping rig. It's just a split down piece of bamboo with a notch cut in it, over which the bottle hangs. Its very simple and the thinking is that any drips that run a long the bottom of the tap are collected. Also, the bottle is sealed from bits and evapouration, not that that would matter, its still pretty cold here.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Here's the pics of the birch sap I collected. It is now busy bubbling away in the demijohn.
IMG_4718.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4720.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4725.jpg
[/IMG]

Never made this wine before so Im looking forward to trying it. :D
By the way, I didn't collect all the sap from one tree. It took about 9 trees to get this lot (about 7ltr.) The pegs I made to fill the holes worked brilliantly. In fact I can probably pull them out next year and use the same trees.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Thats a lot of sap Yarrow. How do you make the wine?, Do you just add sugar and how much? Also do tou have to release the cork periodically to let off pressure or do you have some sort of valve release?

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
bilko said:
Thats a lot of sap Yarrow. How do you make the wine?, Do you just add sugar and how much? Also do tou have to release the cork periodically to let off pressure or do you have some sort of valve release?

The wine is just Birch sap 8pints, 1kg sugar, lemon juice, raisins (chopped) and yeast. I put it all in a demijohn with an air lock. I can report that it is now bubbling away merrily :D No pressure release, I just use an air lock. Dead cheep about 1£.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Here`s how we did it on a "primitive man" course a few years ago...

1.) An optional method to drilling into a fully grown, mature tree (and faster?) is to select a birch sapling about 2-3 meters tall (diameter 3-5 cms?)...and to bend the top down towards the ground.
2.) Slice off the tip of the sapling, and insert it into e.g. an empty 1.5 l empty (coke) bottle...
3.) tie the bottle to the sapling and peg it into the ground...
4.) If you`ve done this correctly, the bottle should fill in a couple of hours/overnight.

The idea is, that the "beheaded" sapling will simply grow a new tip, an you won`t be (possibly) damaging a mature birch...

Marko

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Can somebody possibly knock up a guide on how to tap, I'm concerned about damaging the tree, in fact I'm also worried about picking the wrong tree :eek:

Any guide/tips/pics would be appreciated. Fancy giving it a go if I can find a local tree...

Cheers in advance
Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE