Birch Sap Beer - Is it worth the effort?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
A quick test today shows that the birch sap down here is starting to flow and I fancy having a go at making birch sap beer. I've gathered all the kit - recipe, empty pop bottles, gaffer tape, plastic tubing, fermenting bucket, drill bit etc etc, but now I've got to wondering whether it is all going to be worth the effort.

Has anybody made it and, if so, did you up with a decent beer?

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I think the answer would be it depends how it turns out. I've been making wine for most of my life started by helping my dad when I was old enough to hold the syphon tube steady in the bottom of the bucket, made a few kegs of beer in that time as well from all sorts of things from kits to nettles, oak leaves even tried hemp beer when I was living with friends in Austria. some brews have been a resounding success while others following the same recipe have been a waste of ingredients. the only brew I have tasted from birch sap was finished a bit dry for my taste but others enjoyed it

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never made the beer - Birch Sap Wine is well worth the effort though ... and I make it every year :)
This year I am aiming to make at least 3 gallons!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE