Birch Polypore as coal extender

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Hi,

I've just been experimenting with some Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus).

I lit a piece of King Alfred's Cakes (Cramp Ball) and used it to light a piece of Birch Polypore by pressing the two together and blowing. The Birch Polypore was glowing and burning within a few seconds. I left it on the floor out the back for ten minutes and came back later to check on it. It was still burning and glowing to the same extent as when I left it. I think it would make an excellent coal extender. It doesn't burn as hot as King Alfred's Cakes, but it does glow and stay lit without any additional help.

The peice of Birch Polypore I was using was a slice about 5mm x 50mm x 60mm. It had been previously dried thoroughly.

Pappa

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Poke a hole through a piece and you can thread a withy through it for carrying from camp to camp.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup it sure is - I believe he had a bark container stuffed with moss for the purpose.
Birch polypore will smoulder for hours, infact the its very difficult to extinguish, I ended up wrapping it up in tinfoil to starve it oxygen.
The smoke has a strange smell to it, I have used it to smoke bugs out of debris shelters before settling in for the night.

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE