birch polyphore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Liam if you're finding the polypore fungi have a good look for the Fomes fomentarius too.
It's really common up here and it's a cracker for fires :)
It's other name is the devil's toenail.

The Scots rhyme for it is,
"As cheugh as Auld Nick, who burns forever.
Roast it black, and they'll burn thegither."

Be a bit wary about keeping either of the two fungi in the house. They frequently end up infested with tiny maggots.

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks Toddy,

Funnily enough, it was the De'ils Toenail I was looking for when I found the many zoned polypores. I havent harvested any yet as I don't know how much use they'd be for firelighting.

My "Birch Omelettes" of Piptoporus betulinas are on my kitchen windowsill and I've been watching for maggots etc, okay so far.

I haven't done anything with them yet. They're drying out on the south facing window sill but are as tough as old boots. Think I'll be using my sashimi knives to slice them.

I've been using vaseline and cotton wool/steel wool/red birch bark combinations for years but hoping to use locally sourced fungi etc.

When I do find the Hoof fungi will it need much prep to use?

All the best

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're coming up to Comriecroft we'll find some and show how to strip out the trama (sp) layer.
Basically get that hard dark thin crisp shell off it *before* it gets a chance to dry out or it'll be a pain in the backside to do.
I've taken a saw to one before now :sigh:

It all burns well though, so even scraps of the grainy bits end up in firebundles.

The cat has finally come in, :D , I'm off for a sleep :)

atb,
Toddy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Just in from a bimble with the dog to my local wood.

There are birch omelettes as big as dinner plates on the birch, but best of all Hoof fungus.

Yippeee!!! :lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi Kimba,

If you want to PM me your address, I'll post you a Birch Omelette (that's what I call them, because they look like omelettes to me).

Just chuck some spare change in a charity tin next time you see one. :)

Liam

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
Hi Kimba,

If you want to PM me your address, I'll post you a Birch Omelette (that's what I call them, because they look like omelettes to me).

Just chuck some spare change in a charity tin next time you see one. :)

Liam

Thank you Miyagi

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thank you Miyagi

You're more than welcome Kimba.

I'd never heard of them until I read about them here on BCUK. Since then I know what to look for and where.

Like you, I've only been on this site for a short time.

In that time, I've learned loads from articles and videos, and been given so much friendly advice by the members, it's my way of giving a little bit back.

I'll grab a decent omelette for you tomorrow and fire it in the post.

All the best.

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
In case you don't know Miyagi one of the best tinder’s I use are called ranger bands, can be used in the rain and wind and are free or cheap, basically bike inner tubes cut small about inch or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CeZqSQsE1g&feature=related

Cheers for that. :)

I'm a bit of a cyclist and I'm sure I can get my hands on some old spare tyres (in every sense of the phrase).

I've heard of cutting them into squares, but using them as wraps etc., is much better.

Thanks again.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE