Birch oil in a lamp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
So I was watching a film the other night "the survivalist". A low budget 2015 movie set in post 'peak oil' Ireland.

Anyway.

The guy gathers birch oil (nothing new there) but APPEARS to use it directly into a storm lantern. I know it is flammable. However it is very viscous and full of impurities, had anyone tried it in this manner or had positive results mixing it with another readily available substance found in nature(uk)?

I'm tempted to experiment with it but thought I'd ask first!

Steve

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hey! Steve,

I have to agree with you! I think the birch oil would be to viscous to put in a lamp. You can strain the birch oil through cheesecloth and get it fairly clean.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Some folk have experimented with mixing Birch oil & petroleum based lamp oil (Whale oil being hard to find these days) and though it does work results are not brilliant as shown in the video below. Viscosity of the Birch oil is the big problem as capillary action/ surface tension will not lift it high enough into the cotton lamp wick of a classic storm lantern to burn successfully. However we know pure Birch oil will work in a primitive style lamp with a short wick made from fungi so IMHO the post apocalyptic/ bushcraft answer would be in modifying a modern lamp to to mimic this working with what nature provides and not the other way around trying to duplicate a relatively modern fuel.

Dammit! Part of me is now wondering if pressure stove with a vaporisation coil/tube could run on birch oil.

Birch Oil with Lamp Oil 50-50 mix.
[video]https://youtu.be/vq_46orUDA8[/video]

PS:
There are references around the web to people having tried Turpentine with fair results though it's widely regarded as a not a good idea as it will readily vaporise at room temperature. This effectively turns your cabin in the woods into a fuel-air bomb waiting for a source of ignition.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Doubt it would work the way he portrays it in the film.. (by the way it was a dire movie, turned it off in disgust halfway through )

Tell me about it, took me 2 nights to watch it because of how bad it was.

Thanks for the input guys, figured it would be rubbish.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE