Planning Birch forests in Central Scotland??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Hi all, I might have mentioned the fact that the love of my life caught the nasty big "C" in another thread. Im therefore going up to Scotland looking for some chaga. For this i obviously need birch tree forest. I'm thinking fairly wet terrain like along the river Tay or around Loch Rannoch. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where exactly birch forests can be found. I know a few spots around Loch Tummel and will check those. Any pointers will be gratefully received and appreciated. Perhaps even a grid reference or any other coordinates?
Thanks for looking
BTW... My better half is doing great and it's not life threatening. Just want to get her something boosting her immune system

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
sorry to hear that. you could try out at Dunkeld/Hermitage ways, especially around Balnaguard Glen. We found some up Rothimurcus not long ago, I've still got a wee chunk here. PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post for you so you have some in the meantime if you like :)

Reactions: Macaroon

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
sorry to hear that. you could try out at Dunkeld/Hermitage ways, especially around Balnaguard Glen. We found some up Rothimurcus not long ago, I've still got a wee chunk here. PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post for you so you have some in the meantime if you like :)

That is a very kind offer. Thank you! But part of this search for chaga is us finding it together. We've been researching it and she wants to do more "wood bathing". Thanks again thoough

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Lots of places up the A9 corridor particularly around Aviemore - Chaga seems to prefer mature forest though rather than pioneer trees. You could start around Kincraig / Newtonmore / Strathnethy. Lots of the suitable areas probably aren’t marked as forest though so you might just have to drive at a bit.

Reactions: Sundowner

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I had never heard of chaga before this thread caught my attention....

This evening my son and I spent a couple of hours venturing through the birch woodlands that surround where we live, searching with head torches. Unfortunately we found nothing, other than a few similar looking burls.

So I can only tell you where not to look!! It was a fun night out though so thank you for the inspiration. We will have another look further afield.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I had never heard of chaga before this thread caught my attention....

This evening my son and I spent a couple of hours venturing through the birch woodlands that surround where we live, searching with head torches. Unfortunately we found nothing, other than a few similar looking burls.

So I can only tell you where not to look!! It was a fun night out though so thank you for the inspiration. We will have another look further afield.

I think they only really grow where is gets really cold for sustained periods in the winter, so outside of the central highlands like the spey valley, best places to look at frosty hollows and places that wont catch the sun at all in the winter and might stay cold enough.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
No suggestions but just wanted to wish your other half and you the very best. You can't beat wood bathing for cleansing the soul!
Russ

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Been on a quest for this stuff ever since coming across this thread! I haven't been able to pass a birch tree without checking it for chaga. Had almost given up on finding it locally but surprisingly spotted this when out for a hike this arvo, very pleased. Yes I had to climb for it

f88415998e4a3c6bc7e4ec0510649fbb.jpg
b1c9df9277885df26c7198fefba65090.jpg
454f30b8fcfba3477c907bac402a0705.jpg
3304d1ad04d9624b602ab0310fd21521.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE