Deciduous Forests in Northeast Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello Tony et al.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

A long time ago - a long, long time ago - I used to do a bit of primitive camping way back in Western Pennsylvania where I grew up.

Now that I live in the Northeast of Scotland and summer is coming on, I think I'd like to do a bit of it (my wife agrees as long as I take her dog with me to protect me from wolves, bears, big cats and any other creatures that may be roaming the forests).

What I'm looking for is a reasonably sized stand of deciduous forest where I can go for a two-day retreat and hopefully not see a single human being. My problem is I can't seem to find any.

We live in New Deer which is about 40 miles north of Aberdeen. The closest forests to here are White Cow Woods and Louden Woods. For primitive camping there are two problems with these. First they are wholly coniferous and building fires, even tiny, tiny ones is not a very good idea. Second they are being timbered off as we speak. White Cow Woods looks to be about half gone and there is a big sign at the entrance to Louden Woods that tells me timber cutting operations are in progress.

So, following that tirade, do any of you nice folks know about some nice deciduous forests in Aberdeenshire where I might do a couple of days of primitive camping - with my Mary's dog, of course?

Thanks in advance.

Warmest regards
Bill Rice-Johnston

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, haven't been in years, but the area is called the North East Coastal Plain by the SNH.
http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A306345.pdf

There are woods, a google maps search, and then into satellite mode will show many of them. A lot are plantations though, or on farmlands and are either monocultured crops or very sparse and hard to access.

There are wild areas, the tore of troup for instance, but many of those are either SSSi's or heritage sites.

There is an active North East bushcrafters group though; and they're good, capable people :cool: If one of them doesn't see your thread have a look in the forums listing for Meet ups and social chatter. NES is the usual indication that it's a meet up thread.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118265

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

Hello Toddy

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

The Tore of Troup is just up the road a bit - I've actually driven past it on my way to Pennan a few times. I shall check it out.

I've done some Googling - or is it Googlearthing? - but all I seem to find are conifers, miles and miles - well acres anyhow - of Christmas trees.

In the meantime I shall try to get in touch with my local bushcraft folks and see what I can do.

All the best.

Warmest regards
Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE