Birch burl kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey folks.
I was lucky to chance upon a birch burl recently and have been fiddling with it, on and off for a couple weeks or so. I have been taking it on my strolls, doing a bit here and there. I had no idea how it would come out, no plan on shape other than try and make it better than the other ones I've done. Carving was easier than I thought it would be, seeing as the grain is crazy. I wont be taking the knife to it anymore, apart from thinning the underside of the handle, maybe 1/2 an inch or so. I'll update this post when it is finished.
I can't stop looking at the grain, to me it looks like a myriad of faces swirling in primordial wooden gloop. But I'm weird like that.
I've sanded it to a smooth finish, and will seal it with walnut oil. I intend to present it to a member of the bushcraft community that I feel deserves a little something back. I just hope they like it and get to use it.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSCN0998 (2).jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
That's a lovely burl, a beautifully crafted kuksa and a very noble gesture of you to give it away... to me , thank you so much you really didn't have to...
LMAO
No , seriously it's beautiful burl and the carving is fantastic! Well done ! Thanks for sharing

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Outstanding piece of carving accomplishment. Good size and a very thoughtful free-form handle.
In our local maples (Acer sp.) that sort of grain figure is called "bird's-eye."
I've been told that it exists in birch but ultra rare.
I do believe you're showing me the first example that I've ever seen. Thanks.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
That's a lovely kuksa, beautifully carved. Very generous of you to gift it on to one of the bushcraft community, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :You_Rock_

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Seriously splendid piece of wood that has been improved by some seriously skilled carving.
Thanks for sharing and inspiring others too.

Rob.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the positive comments. I feel a lot better now, about offering it to the recipient.
RV, regarding the rarity of the wood grain, I thought all birch burls would have that sort of grain?
I also have another, larger burl. Maybe twice the size of the first. Not sure what to do with it. I'd like a burl cup for myself, though it's size would better suit a bowl. I'm still in the market for a small adze. I want the Hans Karlson one, but there is no stock anywhere. Don't fancy attempting the larger burl without the adze.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
RV :
Yup. Quietone is right , most birch burl has the birdseye pattern just like the maple one you mentioned, except maple doesn't need burl to get those beautiful patterns ...

Quietone:
Theres a decent adze on Amazon for a reasonable price, I'll dig it out and post link...

Here it is : Curved Bowl Woodcarving Woodworking Adze - Small Curve - Steel 4150!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PRX2RGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_97nbybJQPECBD

Same seller sells bigger curve and straight ones too...

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can't recall the last time that I've seen a birch burl.

Adzes are commonplace wood carving tools in the Pacific northwest.
Among the First Nations native carving community in particular.

Kestrel Tool and North Bay Forge are the two major suppliers.
By buying the blade alone and hafting that, you save a bag of money.

I use both a "Baby Sitka" elbow adze and a D adzes, blades from Kestrel.

Kestrel17_zps3875ccc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Can't recall the last time that I've seen a birch burl.

Adzes are commonplace wood carving tools in the Pacific northwest.
Among the First Nations native carving community in particular.

Kestrel Tool and North Bay Forge are the two major suppliers.
By buying the blade alone and hafting that, you save a bag of money.

I use both a "Baby Sitka" elbow adze and a D adzes, blades from Kestrel.

Kestrel17_zps3875ccc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Those tools are just exquisite!
They must be a pleasure to handle and work with...
Time to investigate prices...something tells me they're not cheap, but just like you said, you can save money by hafting them yourself.
Thanks for sharing that RV.
👍

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks Leshy for doing that. I've been hankering after an adze for so long now. I've probably looked at every seller on the planet, near enough, including the beautiful Kestrel one's RV kindly mentions. Thanks again RV. I have at last settled on the Hans Karlson one, as I already have a dog leg gouge from him, and it is one hell of a tool.

Thanks again to all of you, for your kind words.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Beautiful grain on that burl and coupled with some really nice carving = a gift anyone would be happy to be presented with! Nice gesture too - sure the recipient will appreciate all the work that has gone into this.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've heard of Hans Karlsson many times. He's certainly in the same class as Kestrel.
Clearly a superior line of tool designs for tight hollow spaces. Compliment to any carver's kit.

> I just checked his site = "the waitlist is full."

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
That's a really amazing piece of work, an absolutely stunning kuksa. Your carving has done real justice to that burl!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE