Birch Bark

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
This is going to sound like an odd request...

Where do you get your birch bark from? I'd like to make some sheaths for my woodworkers but I've never really seen any silver bark thats in decent nick. Birch is my primary 'must find' tree for loads of reasons but the bark is always pretty poor. There isn't a right lot of birch in my area either.

There's two CRACKING examples of himalayan paper birch near me, but they're in the the car park of a care home and I won't be stealing any.

So I guess my question is am I just unlucky with my bark or is UK birch just not the same as our scandinavian or US counterparts?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We do find useable bark, but mostly our climate just isn't cold enough to produce thick enough bark in big enough pieces without splits.
Warm, moist, temperate, maritime climate........it's the island thing :)

You can buy bark from Canada/America, but you might barter ? I find most of mine from fallen trees. The inside timber rots out but the bark tube remains sound. It peels and scrapes up fine :D
For sheaths you can always basket weave thin strips to shape :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Something to use as a sort of kedge (don't know the English for that) I mean a thin lever wedge to help peel, is awfully useful :D
I like an old fashioned table knife, myself :) It just helps lift the bark without tearing it. My little archaeology trowel's useful for it too :cool:
It lets me edge under 'sticking' bits and helps me to get a much bigger bit of bark.

cheers,
Toddy

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Should I be taking it down to the wood of the tree? From memory, most of the birch is fallen where I'm going to have a look but it's pretty mossy and split. You can see some here...IMG_0020.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Take it down as deep as the reddish layer on fallen stuff, if you can, it can be hard work. That'll scrape off and leave you the sound bark. Moss dries and scrapes clean away :)

Those fungi are useful too :) worth taking some of them too.

For birch tar even badly fissured bark works.

cheers,
Toddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Something to use as a sort of kedge (don't know the English for that) I mean a thin lever wedge to help peel, is awfully useful :D......

we call them spuds around here toddy, don't know whether or not that's regional though, we do talk some rubbish in derbyshire

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D I had Derbyshire friends :D we regularly confused each other :eek:

I think the regional variations in our language enrich the whole thing :cool:

Spuds are tatties though :confused:

:D

cheers,
M

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
tetra packs (plastic coated cardboard milk or orange juice cartons) cut into strips are great for anything you would do with birch bark, not as earthy looking but I think they are cool recycling.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
:D I had Derbyshire friends :D we regularly confused each other :eek:

I think the regional variations in our language enrich the whole thing :cool:

Spuds are tatties though :confused:

:D

cheers,
M

i agree entirely, spuds are taters, but they're also wooden wedges that you use for taking bark off, doesn't make much sense to me either

i agree about the confusion with scots too, i had friends up in stirling years ago, we baffled one another regularly.

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE