Birch Bark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddywacker

May 31, 2008
Dublin
Hey Guys,

Quick question....

I was out walking this morning after my night shift. Lovely morning, sunny and loads of wildlife about. I was walking through my local park/wood and decided to get some Brich bark to practive lighting with my firesteel. I got some bark off the trees about 2 handfulls got home and tried to light a small fire in the back garden to try it out. I tried for a few minutes and it never caught a spark.

1. How do you collect the bark ? I peeled it directly from the tree. It came off in thin slivers.

2. It hasnt rained here in a few days so the bark was dry. Do I have to let the bark dry out further before it takes the spark? I've kept some in a little ziplock bag to try again.

Thanks for any advice.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The trick to getting it to light is to make some of it even finer than the peelings off the tree.
If you have a thick-ish piece, scrape it with your knife at 90 degrees to get a small pile of dust-like powder which should take the spark reasonably well. Tear other pieces into thin strips so that they will ignite from the first tiny flame and it should be hunky-dory.
Good bark to harvest is from recently fallen trees, as the oils in the bark preserve it until after the inner wood has rotted away.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do I have to let the bark dry out further before it takes the spark? I've kept some in a little ziplock bag to try again.

Trouble is with zip lock bags are they're great with keeping moisture out but also just as good at keeping the moisture IN.

So before you store anything in them you've got to make sure it's totally dry first. If you can get yourself a little cloth bag to keep the bark in and keep that on you and let your body heat dry it out or store it somewhere warm and dry for a couple days then move it into ziplocks. That way you'll know it's dry and ready for use.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Sorry for late reply , I ve been away for the weekend. Yeah, I think it was red birch bark.

I don't know about anybody else but I've always found red birch bark pretty impossible to light with a firesteel - don't know why but guess it's something to do with the resin content. I've posted somewhere about the phenomenon but can't remember where. Silver Birch or Paper Birch are the ones to use IMO. Happy sparkings!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've not been succesful lighting birch bark yet either manily due to the fact I only have access to a silver birch tree which just has really thick bark which is as tough as errr wood and seems to not be suitable for lighting. Something like this:

Birchbark.jpg

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
That looks like an old mature birch Zammo the bark lower down the trunk gets thicker and more unsable with age ,although i could be wrong! ;)

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
If that's the only tree, Zammo, you'll need to start climbing! You should find some easy-peel bark higher up. I'd be surprised if it is the only one though, birch are notably prolific - hunt around and you should find some younger trees or saplings. Remember to peel the bark and not cut it - take onlywhat the tree offers freely. :D

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
What you want to go for is the papery type bark,not the thick stuff.

The thin bark lights very easy,no matter if it yellow ot silver birch.

002-8.jpg

Scrap it a to fluff it up.
003-8.jpg

Bingo.
005-6.jpg

Yellow birch light just as easy.
016-8.jpg

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I spend a day while traveling around Lithuania in a poachers garden, who lives in 200 year old hut. That man had some confidence in birch i tell you. Never imagined such a thick peaces of wood can be lighten up so easily. As for the bark, scraping a pile of dust, as mentioned above, should really do the trick. And of course, dont hesitate to scrape some of your firesteel on it as well.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I take the bark only from dead birch trees - easy to get to as it's usually lying on the ground. Seems to work a treat - but I do not try to light it with a firesteel. I use it as kindling rather than tinder.

I don't feel too happy about taking it off living trees.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
just get the thin stuff and put it in your pocket to dry then when you come to use it take a good hand full and roll it in your hands to break it up and fluff it up then it lights easy

Apr 27, 2010
VT
I just look for really silky, fine bark.....fold it over and rub it on the teeth of the striker a few times to wear a hole and get some of the firesteel bits in it, then *poof*

you can practice the method with a paper towel folded in half

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Let the paper-thin bark dry and tease it really fine & I find it will catch from a firesteel. Thicker bark will burn from a flame, but not sparks, even when wet due to the oil in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE