BIRCH BARK?!!??!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I spent the weekend in the around forest of dean with two others, lighting fires, testing equiptment and bushcrafting! (And then down the pub for a pint!)

But one problem, the birch bark, as advertised in Ray Mears essential bushcraft, is (for me) IMPOSSIBLE to work with!!

I used cotton wool to get fires up, they were no problem, and the lapp puukko is a great knife.
But i couldnt get to grips with creating fire, or anything with the bark of a birch tree!

Help?!

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I tend to peel off thin strips of the stuff. Then I either just throw a shower of sparks at it with a firesteel or shave it into dust with the edge of a blade (held perpendicular and drawn across the back of the piece of bark) and hit the resulting dust with the sparks instead. Or if I'm lazy I'll pick some and keep it in a pocket for a few hours to dry. :-D

It's been a bit wet recently and if it was your first time trying then don't be too hard on yourself!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've only had success with the thinnest, paperiest, outer layers of bark that are already fraying off the tree, needs to be dry too. I've noticed that not all birch trees are in this fraying mode, especially as they get older with thicker trunks. If you look for areas which have been abraded already then it's a good place to start.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Thin papery birch, chopped up, works great with sparks.
I however use a lighter. So, I make mini firelighters from thicker bark.
I strip it from logs, I strip the full depth, and around a good 1"x3". Then dry it (in front of fire, or bottom oven of aga in summer) It curls up tightly.
Fill a little pouch with them, and voila, equipped for anything.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
was the birch bark red or white? I found the white stuff is brilliant when peeled for tinder.The Red/brown stuff is a bit of a b*gger to start,especially when damp.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah some doesn't peel into nice curly strips, even if you scrape it with your knife.

You just get birch bark dust. (Which I suppose could be lightable - never tried it though)

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
have you tried buffing it? 9 times out of 10 birch bark and a fire steel is as reliable as a lighter

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I thought that if i got some off a live tree, then it would be harder to light, so i found a dead one, got all the papery stuff off it. But after scrape after scrape from my firesteel it still wasnt lighting (so i used tissue/cotton instead).

have you tried buffing it? 9 times out of 10 birch bark and a fire steel is as reliable as a lighter

How do you buff it?

cheers,

Jake

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
scrunch it up in your hands and keep rolling your hands so it breaks it down into small fibres, although i find you dont really need to to that if you take the naturally shredding bark,just crunch it up a bit ,keep trying cos it will take a spark very well, you can aloso rub it on your trousers , etc

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
also a live tree is good as its only the naturally shredding bark that you use, you`re doing the tree a favour as it has to shed bark to breathe and let light in ,but i`m sure there is someone else here who can explain that better, jack about ? :-D i think that would be shedding bark not shredding :-D

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Brilliant, i'll try it.

How do you create things with birch bark, has anyone has any success woth making match boxes etc?

Cheers,

Jake

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
my local woods are all birch so thats what i use most. i just use a bit of char cloth to get it going as i've failed with the bark from scratch. its great once you get it going though it burns for ages. i think part of the helping the tree art is that less bugs get under the bark to halm the tree. when making things from the bark dont ring the tree as that wil kill it though, best to use dead trees for that

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys, do i have to find a dead trewe for it to work, and would it work on all birch?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Living trees.

I find that the bark of the silver birch is the best for firelighting ... just peel off the papery peeling bark.

Jake Rollnick said:
Cheers guys, do i have to find a dead trewe for it to work, and would it work on all birch?

Cheers,

Jake

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Is there something about that birch bark has the same burning quality as jetfuel?? I have heard someone mention this before. :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
First I've heard of it, but I guess if you knew how to, and could afford to refine it anything is possible!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've had great success when scraping the outside of birch bark into a fine dust and lighting that with a firesteel, then just add some off the naturally shedding peelings and then your kindling and away you go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE