Birch bark question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I'd like to make a birch bark container, school me on harvesting said bark, some say you can harvest from a living tree and it will recover, anyone care to verify and is there a technique to remove the bark?

Thanks

Paul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you can't. Not bark thick enough to make anything from.

You can peel off thin, thin layers that flake on the surface of some varieties, but most of the birch trees in the UK grow thin barks. That's the bark that carries the water up the tree, that protects it from fungal attack, etc.,

Dead birches rot from the inside out, they leave the tube of bark behind. Try to find that instead if you want to use native bark.
Failing that buy Continental or N.American birch bark. It's much thicker, more flexible, less likely to split, it grows well in their cold climates.

Bambodoggy summed it up, "Trees don't heal, they seal"…unless you ring bark them or fungus get into them.

M

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I recently ordered a few sheets of birch bark when it was on sale with Brisaknives for the very reson that finding some thick enough in our climate is a challenge, and the only trees in my locale with suitable bark are still-living trees in neighbours gardens.

atb
Ste

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I had a bimble in the woods yesterday and found quite a lot of cut down birch. Harvesting from that type of source would not do any more damage than already done. Take a walk, enjoy the woods and see what is there.:D

Rob.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Interesting replies, thanks, didn't for example onow that our Birch grows thinner bark due to climate over here, I'll keep an eye out for dead trees.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rob's advice is sound. Birch is a pioneer species, and where it grows under power lines, on wetland sites and the like, it's routinely felled…..and that bark is fresh and not dead and you'll not be damaging a growing tree :)

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE