Birch bark basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
This is my first little birch bark basket. I was amazed how well it turned out and how simple it was to make! I just got a section of birch with some good bark on it, and cut around and around, spiraling my way to the other end. This gave me a single strip of birch barck from which i made this basket.

birchbark2.jpg

birchbark1.jpg

Try it yourself!

Reactions: Goose and torjusg
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Love it! Clever idea to do one continuous strip too, I'm not sure that would have ocurred to me if I'd been experimenting.

A few questions for you - Did you damp the strips at all to make them more flexible whilst working, was the bark from fresh cut or seasoned timber and what lengths were the pieces?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i didnt dampen the strips at all but sometimes it can stop as much splitting along the grain if you do.

The bark was from timber which had been cut down quite a while ago, proberbly a year now. The bark was still in quite good condition.

Each strip used in this basket was about 25 cm long which was cut from a single strip.

If you spiral around a piece of wood like i did you can get a lot of bark. its quite amazing the length you can get off just a short piece of wood.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great basket, looks really good. I have a couple of birch bark sheaths recently and was surprised how good it was to work with. Have to try a basket now! :rolleyes:

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Birch Bark is amazing to work with, but also hard to learn some people find.

I have been lucky enough to learn from a chap called Juha whos Birch Bark craft is, well, breathtaking. Its at the level of being inspirational and soul drestoying at the same time (how on earth can i ever make anything half as good???????ever??????). I`ve done a birch bark and advanved birch bark course with him and really enjoyed it. I`m de-engineering now to use British bark as oppossed to swedish :) its getting a supply of the Swedish bark(with which you have the potential, note i do not say i am :), to make the truely amazing objects)

Hello,
Very nice baskets! Maybe you birchbark-lovers know about this already, but you can actually cook in birchbark-kettles. I was really happy when I did this first time: no more heavy pots or ugly metal pans! I still don't know how to add pictures, but when I find out I'll post one. Bark was Swedish though: the dutch bark is usually very thin although sometimes you can find much thicker bark. I don't know why.
Diederik

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
The mountain bark where I come from is often of quite good quality too. It often have some kind of disease under the bark though (unharmful), but I think that has to do with livestock or something.

4-5 mm is about as thick as it gets, but that is thick enough for most purposes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE