Binoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The binos look good but I've not used them specifically. I have bought from 7dayshop though and can highly recommend them. The prices come from some creative use of the channel islands tax laws which annoys the hell out of customs and excise (which is and added bonus to the great price!!).

If anyone has a surefire flashlight the batteries are about £7 for 12 rather than £5 for ONE in tescos or photo shops in the UK. Like I say highly recommended.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
sorry £7.99 for 6 batteries. Thought they were less than that, still a good deal. The battery cases they do are great as well and about £1.

Bill

leon-1

Raz, if you are going to be using them in low light conditions you may want something with a larger objective lense and slightly less magnification.

The ideal for light transmission is a 7mm exit pupil. Take the objective lens size and then divide by the magnification so around 8X56 is a good size. :)

ripley

Sep 2, 2004
Switzerland
Hi guys,

Leon-1, I have to make a small note here about your 7mm exit pupil. When the human eye is young (I mean when you're a kid) your pupil can open up to 7mm, but once you're a grown up it quickly reduces to 5mm. So don't bother about these extra 2mm. You will do fine in in low light conditions with something like 8x40 (8x42) or 10x50. Personally I would prefer 8x42 as it is more stable viewing. Once you pas magnification 10, you should put it on a tripod.
Happy viewing! :)

Ripley

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have two Mono's 8x21. But only use one of them. They're quite good when stalking and observing. :wink:
It's a small little thing, but it's quite good, IMO. Off course there's much more powerful ones, but for me, binoculars is unnecessary in bushcraft.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
The Exit pupil is a good point, I was really just posting those binoc's becuase they seem like such a great deal, but apprantly not?

I have a pair of 8x40 zeiss at the moment, but they are far too large. I've heard many good things about the midsize range of bino's - 8x32; like the pentax DCF SP, Brunton Eterna 8x32, Eagle Ranger 8x32, or Bushnell H20. So I think I'll go with one of those, but which one...... :)

leon-1

ripley said:
Hi guys,

Leon-1, I have to make a small note here about your 7mm exit pupil. When the human eye is young (I mean when you're a kid) your pupil can open up to 7mm, but once you're a grown up it quickly reduces to 5mm. So don't bother about these extra 2mm. You will do fine in in low light conditions with something like 8x40 (8x42) or 10x50. Personally I would prefer 8x42 as it is more stable viewing. Once you pas magnification 10, you should put it on a tripod.
Happy viewing! :)

Ripley

Thanks Ripley, they never taught us that at sniper div :biggthump

Raz, I am a big fan of the bushnell scopes and bino's, they are good value for money, but I haven't got massive amounts of experience using thier bino's. I know that Neil1 has a set, you could probably get a more concise view about them from him :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'm a 6X30 man myself. Not to big, heavy and cumbersome to carry for hunting. I have two other's that I use on occassion. If I'm traveling ultra lite, I have a pair of 8X25s that fit into a pocket and a pair of 10X50s, which I take down the coast to watch whales pass by on their annual migration either to Mexico from Alaska or on their return trip after the calves are born.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
This is an interesting thread. One of my other interests is astronomy and I use binoculars all the time - in my case a pair of Canon 10 x 30 IS image-stabilised binoculars. On the binocular forum I frequent the talk is that 7mm exit-pupil binoculars are a waste of time UNLESS you are in areas with very dark skies - which I guess would include many areas suitable for the practice of bushcraft. Although the average pupil only dilates to around 5mm, this can be extended with practice to around 6mm or more (I have an article from an old issue of Sky and Telescope where the author measured his own pupil diameter at 6.5mm and he is in his sixties).

If you are going for spotting wildlife in the dark or twilight conditions, it is best to have more aperture and a bigger exit pupil, for example 10 x 50, 7 x 50, 8 x 56, 9 x 63 etc. Many binoculars available today are aimed at birders where the median seems to be settled at 8 x 32 (ie a 4mm exit pupil) which is fine in most conditions. To many birders, it seems, even a 42mm binocular is pushing the boundaries of acceptable size.

You also have to consider other factors which I feel are beyond the scope of this thread. For example, are you likely to be using them in harsh weather? In which case some kind of water resistance would be in order. Do you wear glasses? If so, long eye-relief (the distance required between the eyeball and the eyepiece) is a must, with adjustable eyecups a distinct advantage. Are you bothered by optical defects (eg false colour, astigmatism)? Then try to afford the most expensive binoculars you can afford. This is one area where you generally get what you pay for, although the "bang per buck" drops off sharply after a certain limit and you can pay astronomical prices for top-quality optics. (pun intended :eek:): )

Try this site: www.betterviewdesired.com

It gives advice on optics in various price-ranges. However the best bit of advice I can give is to try as many pairs as you can to see what you like and more importantly, what you don't. Any binocular is going to be a compromise between power, compactness, suitability for different conditions, price etc. Choosing a pair of binoculars is not a simple process and I know many who agonise over this for weeks if not months. It is a decision best made not in haste, as you can easily regret it at your leisure.....

Best wishes,

Bruce

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
RovingArcher said:
I'm a 6X30 man myself. Not to big, heavy and cumbersome to carry for hunting.

Me too ! Pentax marine 6x30's for years, before recently moving up to some steiner military marine series 6x30's. Bright, sharp and tough. They have all the quality and handling of "real" glasses but are much smaller and lighter to carry.

I have noticed that 6x are much harder to find than 8x - but well worth the search.

One thought on the 7mm pupil story - the extra diameter may not make the glasses any brighter for us, but it should make them easier to use as the 5mm pupils of our eyes don't have to be so pecisely positioned to still be within the 7mm exit pupils of the glasses. This makes a big difference in usability and is why these little 10x25 things are so awful - It's so hard to get both eyes precisely aligned with two tiny 2.5mm diameter dots that I can't be bothered to use them - I got so frustrated that I binned a set of tascos because of that !

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I've started saving for a new pair of Binoculars and was aiming at around £250 for some decent 7 or 8 X 42 s
whilst googling, I found these - Maushaus Bins
and apart from liking that they are a westcountry product , I see that the Woodlore shop are selling them. Now I know you get what you pay for blah blah blah! But has anyone on here any experience of using these bins - if so what do you think?
cheers
Flux

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Fluxus said:
I've started saving for a new pair of Binoculars and was aiming at around £250 for some decent 7 or 8 X 42 s
whilst googling, I found these - Maushaus Bins
and apart from liking that they are a westcountry product , I see that the Woodlore shop are selling them. Now I know you get what you pay for blah blah blah! But has anyone on here any experience of using these bins - if so what do you think?
cheers
Flux

I noticed these the other day too. I've looked at the specs and they seem to be very good value (the same as or better than Leica 8x42BN). However, things can always look good on paper but maybe useless in use and this is especially true of the binoular lenses. I'm holding judgement until I actually get my hands on a pair and test them (or hear from someone who has done so already).

I've contact them to see if they have a stockist in Scotland so will let you know in due course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE